Making a 2d space shooter...

Started by
5 comments, last by Guzba 21 years, 1 month ago
Ok i havent made a game before so ive got a few questions. I have made the windows basecode following NEHE mostly but editing alot and im wondering how i should go about making the game, where should i start what should i do? hehe im just in need of some wisdom and guidence oh experienced ones lol
"I never finish what i sta.."Computer:ATI Radeon 9700 PROP4 2.66 GHz512 RDRAM
Advertisement
start with the main menu (new game, exit game) first.
try to keep your code flexible so you don''t code yourself into a corner.
then work on ship mechanics (acceleration, movement, etc)
work on whatever else you need.
If you want to make a space shooter buy windows game programming for dummies. Its cheap and teaches you everything you need to know how to make a decent 2d shooter in directX and C/C++
I have been doing 2d spaceshooter for some time now already so I think I can give you some ideas. I first started following the Chriss Hargroves - Code on the Cob articles, located in Articles->Game Programming here in GameDev, after that I got into object hierarchy and game logistics, physics and now I am starting to do some graphics and effects.
Vikke Matikainen
Yeah i played your game kozmo and its almost exactly like what i want to make (i didnt copy, i use to play it for snes at my grandmas and though it was the perfect game to make for windows). Thanx for the directions to the articles, and where did you learn about object heirarchy?
"I never finish what i sta.."Computer:ATI Radeon 9700 PROP4 2.66 GHz512 RDRAM
I started out with puting the player ship on the screen, then animating it, then making it posible to move, then syncing the animation with the ship, then adding some enemy ships, then adding lasers, then adding the ability to destroy enemy ships and then I grew tired of the gaming code so I made a menu and then continued on the game etc etc.
Of course, now I realize that I should have done a bit more planing, it would have been easier to work with the game now if I had planed it better. But back then I didn''t really know enought to plan it, and I learned a lot by doing it this way and in the end I think it turned out ok after all.

--
Spearhawk productions
Project Andromeda
I have this book "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days by Jesse Liberty" which explained me a lot about classes and inheritance and how your class hierarchy should be designed. That and experience, although I am currently starting to study same subjects in university.

Vikke Matikainen
Vikke Matikainen

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement