Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antony52

Best and more used game editor.

Antony52    108
Which is the best and more used game editor e.g.UnrealED,QRadiant etc...? Can you use 3D Studio Max as a game editor and would you recommend using 3D Studio instead of a game editor?

aidan_walsh    739
Well for a start I would stay right away from UnrealEd unless you are a) building an Unreal mod, or b) building an entire game using the Unreal engine, in which case there is probaby a better ersion you can use.

Secondly, 3D Studio Max is a 3D modeler, not a game editor.

Thirdly, 3D Studio is well knows fo it''s limitations. If you want to use something like this might I suggest getting into either DarkBasic or JaMagic

#Old Steve, he said to Xerox "Boys, turn your heads and cough"
And when no-one was looking he ripped their interfaces off#
Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie on the truth behind MacOS 1

SketchSoft | SketchNews

HG    122
For Unreal-engined games, UnrealEd is most used.
For most Quake-engined games, Radiant is used.
For Serious Sam, SeriousTools are used.
For many other games, modelling tools like Maya or Max are used, but in many cases you would prefer a custom tool to something that general with an exporter.

On a note of personal preferences, I find that Radiant is a very quick tool to work with, with a steep learning curve. UnrealEd has much better integration with the engine (well, it is the engine!), which can help a lot - and no lengthy compiles (I remember one of my levels taking 48 hours to compile and light!)

Serious Editor wouldn''t run with any speed on my P2-450 a couple of years ago, so I haven''t really tried it.

As to which is best - try them out and decide. You''ll learn more that way.

Antony52    108
What do you think of Virtools Dev 2.5?Is it better?To tell you the truth I am between UnrealED and Virtools and could you your advice.Thanks.

PolyVox    712
Well here''s a quick plug for the editor I''m working on! I joined this project because like you I found there weren''t any open source level editors out there. It''s not mature enough for serios work, but it''s coming along nicely and may be worth having a look at!

Check out thetool.polyfrag.com