Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

supagu

world of grids

just wanna run an idea of mine past some people whom may have some experience here, i have my map currently divided into a 2d grid, and i have converted my 8 point frustrum into a 6 point frustrum, and am going to do a "render" of my 2d grid... by that i mean the way a polygon is rendered, line by line, only drawing the pixels that need to be draw, i going to do this with my 2d map (hope you get that), this seems to me, that adding an extra dimension to my map, ie. a 3d grid, i could probably do something similar and "render my 3d grid, using the camera''s frustrum to determine what grid cells should be rendered? origonally decided to do it 2d because i was intrested in starting of simple, but if i can do it in 3d, would save having to worry about converting the 8 point frustrum to a 6 point flat shape to render.... hope you get what i mean :D any advice welcome thanks

i have an 8 point frustrum, but if you project this down on to a shadow say, the out line of the frustrum you just need 6 points,

so now that you have the 6 points, you can simply scan through from 1 side to the other, and tell each cell of my map to be rendered,

but, i was wondering if somthing like this could just be done for a 3d object, scan through left to right, then down, then back.