Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2d_god

using pure asm for all graphics routines ??

hi, i''m new to this board, and i hope i''ll enjoy hanging around with all of you.. i''m an experienced programmer with knowledge in many programming languages, but my game development experience is very small as the only games i''ve ever created were things like PONG,Space Invaders,and all sort of card games, all written under a DOS envirement(it was at least 2+ years ago).. now i''m interesting in creating a much higher-grade game.. under windows, with very few animations, only 2D graphics, and easy to play... nothing too complex... now my question is: as for writing the lib for graphics rountines of the game (such as drawing,image rendering, animating, page fliping, etc..) should i write then entirely %100 asm code ? (for speed) can it be faster then just throwing in DX and using it ? how much the speed can vary [own-asm-routines vs. DX\SDL\etc..] ? i''ll appretiate any reply... thanks in advance ----------------------------- 2D God

since windows doesn''t give you direct access to hardware, if you try to use it, your code will run through an emulation layer. using established apis such as gx/gl is your best bet.

Yeah, plus, in DX you can use hardware acceleration to display grpahics, which are much faster than any asm routines you may write . But, you could also, use DX to get the surface pointer, and still write all your routines in assembly, that way you get the best of both worlds basically. Look into Direct Draw, and get the pointer to the surface, then you can use all your "normal" drawing routines that you want.