Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kapru

Making my game look good

Were are using a basic tile map system to texture a 3D landscape for a 3D RTS but it looks like crap because of the limited texture size on our big maps. the way we are using the tiles is that normal bog standard method of having grass against dirt and frankly it is rather disappointing in the looks department. i went to the computer store and looked at some magazines and the graphics a saw were mind blowing and it looked like they were using a tile based system, i just want to know how to get your tiles looking magnificent... it seems tbats the only thing pros know how to do that guys like us seem to fall down with. we are using 8x8 tiles and we are using a single texture to manually blit them onto... any advice would be graciously accepted. ill post the gamedev address as soon as its uploaded

Here''s an article from Gamasutra - from simply skimming it, I''d say your best bet is to have multiple base tiles that match edges so you can have at least a _little_ variation, making it look less tiled.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20011024/peasley_01.htm

HTH