Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

andrew99

compilers

Thank you,
Please can you reccomend a decent c++ compiler, that is free. And where can I get it.
The compiker I have currently runs through msdos and does not create a .exe file. Thanks again.
Ps. I am on windows 98.

quote:
Original post by andrew99
Thankyou but dev-c++ is the one I have got. it only runs the files in MSDOS and doesn''t allow an .exe file to be made. am I using it wrong

If your program runs in a console window (not the same as MS-DOS), you most likely created a console project. Create a windowed project (don''t remember the exact name) if you don''t want to have a console window automatically opened for your application.

It certainly does generate exe-files. Compile a project and look in the project''s directory. As long as the compilation succeeded there should be an exe there.

When I open the file ''ch''. It comes up with a small window, with the c:\ symbol.
I select the directory where my file is. ''cd my documents++'' and type the file i want to run ''hm.txt'' it runs the file in the same window and then goes back to the c:\my documents etc...
am I running the wrong file. If so where is the right file.

I've got MS Visual Studio .NET, but decided to download Dev-Cpp to try it out. I was very impressed. The only thing I needed to do was add the c++\mingw include directory to the include search list to resolve a problem compiling a program the uses iostreams.
I did find that it does NOT like spaces in the path to the directory it is installed in, so "C:\Program Files\Dev-Cpp" is right out. I may have been able to resolve that issue with a little more effort.
I am not a Dev-Cpp expert, my first exposure to it being yesterday. That said, the version I downloaded, version 5.0 beta 7 (4.9.7.0), does not seem to create any 'ch' file. Also, I am not sure what you mean by running 'hm.txt'. A program file should have the extension .exe.
After creating your project and entering your program source, you should compile the program by selecting the Execute->Compile menu item (or the corresponding function key or toolbar button). After fixing any problems that the compiler reports, you can run the program by selecting the Execute->Run menu item.
I hope this helps.

Shawn

[edited by - ShawnO on March 19, 2003 9:05:08 AM]

Also Dev-C++ features multiple languages for other people. The last version is 4.9.7.8 which can be downloaded by accessing Tools->New Package. One thing I did not figure out is the bug report which does not immediately access to vRoach. I don''t know what ".ch" stands for but you can see which extension Dev-C++ supports with Tools->Environment Options->File Association.

Thanks I downloaded dev-c++ again and got what looks correct. I don''t know what I had before but it wasn''t this. When I click on new project, it comes up with a file called main. which contains a load of code. Where do I put the code for my program.

quote:
it comes up with a file called main. which contains a load of code. Where do I put the code for my program.

Do yourself a huge favour and read a good book on C++ before going any further. Like Thinking in C++. You might also want to pick up a book on Win32 programming and one on OpenGL. And add a shortcut to MSDN.

Following this simple advice will save you lots of pain, frustration and time

I have read a book on c++. and understand it quite well.
My code works perfectly well on my old compiler but ddoesn''t create a .exe file. It seems to be some sort of debugging file.

quote:
When I click on new project, it comes up with a file called main. which contains a load of code. Where do I put the code for my program.

The main.cpp you describe is actually a template i.e. a code sample. Since the project is created, you can either edit the current main.cpp or create a new file on which you associate with the current project.