compilers

Started by
16 comments, last by andrew99 21 years, 1 month ago
I've got MS Visual Studio .NET, but decided to download Dev-Cpp to try it out. I was very impressed. The only thing I needed to do was add the c++\mingw include directory to the include search list to resolve a problem compiling a program the uses iostreams.
I did find that it does NOT like spaces in the path to the directory it is installed in, so "C:\Program Files\Dev-Cpp" is right out. I may have been able to resolve that issue with a little more effort.
I am not a Dev-Cpp expert, my first exposure to it being yesterday. That said, the version I downloaded, version 5.0 beta 7 (4.9.7.0), does not seem to create any 'ch' file. Also, I am not sure what you mean by running 'hm.txt'. A program file should have the extension .exe.
After creating your project and entering your program source, you should compile the program by selecting the Execute->Compile menu item (or the corresponding function key or toolbar button). After fixing any problems that the compiler reports, you can run the program by selecting the Execute->Run menu item.
I hope this helps.

Shawn

[edited by - ShawnO on March 19, 2003 9:05:08 AM]
When using the Windows calculator program, always remember to clear any values from memory before exiting to prevent burn-in.
Advertisement
Also Dev-C++ features multiple languages for other people. The last version is 4.9.7.8 which can be downloaded by accessing Tools->New Package. One thing I did not figure out is the bug report which does not immediately access to vRoach. I don''t know what ".ch" stands for but you can see which extension Dev-C++ supports with Tools->Environment Options->File Association.
Thanks I downloaded dev-c++ again and got what looks correct. I don''t know what I had before but it wasn''t this. When I click on new project, it comes up with a file called main. which contains a load of code. Where do I put the code for my program.
quote:Original post by andrew99
it comes up with a file called main. which contains a load of code. Where do I put the code for my program.

Do yourself a huge favour and read a good book on C++ before going any further. Like Thinking in C++. You might also want to pick up a book on Win32 programming and one on OpenGL. And add a shortcut to MSDN.

Following this simple advice will save you lots of pain, frustration and time
"-1 x -1 = +1 is stupid and evil."-- Gene Ray
I have read a book on c++. and understand it quite well.
My code works perfectly well on my old compiler but ddoesn''t create a .exe file. It seems to be some sort of debugging file.
Your "old compiler" almost has to compile it, unless it is some advanced C++ interpreter. Where did you get it from? Perhaps it is compileing it, just to another directory.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by andrew99
When I click on new project, it comes up with a file called main. which contains a load of code. Where do I put the code for my program.

The main.cpp you describe is actually a template i.e. a code sample. Since the project is created, you can either edit the current main.cpp or create a new file on which you associate with the current project.
Thanks for all your replies. I am happy now amd can hopefully start programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement