Textures. Applying them to models

Started by
0 comments, last by DeltaVee 21 years, 1 month ago
Ok, I''m a programmer, so when it comes to modelling and stuff I''m not all that good, add to that the fact I''m clueless. Say I build a model, for example a low polygon starship. Could someone go through the steps I need to do to apply a texture to the model. I have GMAX and PaintShop Pro, so I have ''most'' of the tools. How do I ''flatten'' the model so I can apply the texture coordinates to each vertex and save coords. with the model? Once I have flattened it, it is a ''simple'' matter of overlaying a bitmap on the polygons. Its the flattening out bit I can''t do. There probably something in GMAX under the Edit menu that goes along the lines of "Flatten out model so you apply tu,tv texture coordinates and overly a bitmap to make your life easier DeltaVee", but I can''t find it. To be honest I don''t know where to look. A little direction from those that know would be appreciated, thanks D.V. Carpe Diem
D.V.Carpe Diem
Advertisement
I believe gmax has good documentations. I never used gmax before, but in max the process is, select the faces you want to map, then apply uv map, then apply uv unwrap, and adjust the uv to your liking and repeat. To assign a texture get to the material editor, select the diffuse slot, and then bitmap and select your image file. If you want to export the uv out to an image editor to paint on then you need a plugin by Peter Watje, called Unwrap texture object.

I'm not sure how you are going to use the mesh you created in gmax since it only support it's own format. Unless you are using md3.

John

[edited by - z3lda on March 18, 2003 10:20:07 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement