Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

smiley4

Origins of Windows

smiley4    193
Just what primitve program was windows developed in? DOS? I have an idea that if I learn the hard stuff first, then I can program with the easier stuff like C++. What old languages should I learn, COBAL, PASCAL, BASIC? I figure that since I had to learn the harder stuff in art like pencil sketching, oils, pastels, caulk, acrillic, water color, and other mediums before going to the easier stuff like Photoshop, Illustrator, (and more advanced stuff for computer art like 3ds max.) I''m wanting to learn enough programming so that it will be easier to fix the mistakes that the computer application makes when I''m trying to do my artwork. I just thought that if one code fails on me, I have to use a code that code was built from to correct the new code''s mistakes.

Anon Mike    1098
Yeah, Windows started life as a really fancy DOS extender and evolved into a full-fledged OS in it''s own right.

I''m not sure you''re approaching your learning correctly though. Programming in C++ really isn''t any easier or harder than programming in FORTRAN or Pascal. What you need to learn is not any particular language, it''s the thought process that you use to analyse and solve problems.

Art is the same way. Pencil sketching is no harder than Photoship - in many ways it''s much simpler. What those early art classes were really tring to do was to get you to think and see as an artist, the medium itself is not so important. However the lack of a billion options and the simplicity of the medium when it comes to pencil sketching can make learning easier because there''s nothing to get in the way.

kdogg    204
I assume windows is written mostly in C, with some assembly and maybe C++ for non-kernel functions. At least that''s what linux is written in, so it''s possible to write an operating system using C and assembly. While COBAL PASCAL and BASIC aren''t bad to learn, i don''t think it''s necessary to go back that far. I think you can pretty much jump into C/C++.

crackingod    122
Hidden
BASIC, PASCAL and COBAL are very easy programming languages, and thre are some modern versions of them:
Visual Basic
Delphi

Also, if you want to do some SERIOUS programming consider assembly