Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robininni

What is .NET?

Robininni    122
I checked out the Microsoft website and read about how it implements everything together into a seemless wonder and how it works with XML (which I am foggy on)... but what is IT??? Is it a programming language like C/C++ or Java? Exactly what is .NET? On a similar note... what are things like DirectX and OpenGL exactly? They aren't programming 'languages' are they? Are they some sort of "extension" of C++? If you could explain this one too I would appreciate it. Thanks, gang. Sort of an after thought, but what is C#? Is it a new, improved version of C++? Thanks again. -Rob --> "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here!" [edited by - robininni on March 18, 2003 4:00:24 PM]

Quaggy    122
.NET is Microsoft''s new development suite. It replaces Visual Studio. It is not a language, but an environment where you can compile and run code you have written in "languages" such as C/++ and Visual Basic.

XML is something to the effect of "Extensible Markup Language." Web based stuff.

The "seamless wonder" you''re referring to is the ability for .NET to run any project out of the same IDE(Integrated Development Environment). So, say you''re working on a Visual Basic project and then decide to work on a C/++ project. With .NET, you don''t have to close down the entire development environment -only the current project.

DirectX and OpenGL are 3-D APIs(Application Programming Interface). In short, they provide an interface to perform functions to facilitate drawing in three dimensions.

C#, or "C Sharp" is a Microsofts new object oriented language. Go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/techinfo/articles/upgrade/Csharpintro.asp for a good explanation.

Quaggy

alnite    3438
I think .NET is more like a platform. You can consider it like a small sub operating system. If a computer has a .NET Framework installed, it can runs any applications developed in .NET (Managed C++, C#, VB.NET). Correct me if I am wrong.

quote:
Original post by Quaggy
The "seamless wonder" you're referring to is the ability for .NET to run any project out of the same IDE(Integrated Development Environment). So, say you're working on a Visual Basic project and then decide to work on a C/++ project. With .NET, you don't have to close down the entire development environment -only the current project.
Not just that, you can integrate these two projects together. So, let's say, you are making a graphics engine in C/C++ and use it in VB.NET or C# applications without having to compile your C/C++ project to some .dll first.
quote:

DirectX and OpenGL are 3-D APIs(Application Programming Interface).
To be precise, Direct3D and OpenGL are 3D APIs. DirectX is more like a multimedia API. You can display 3D graphics (Direct3D), play sounds (DirectX Audio), read input devices (joystics, keyboards, etc) (DirectInput), movies (DirectShow), multiplayer support (DirectPlay) etc...

Current project:
2D in Direct3D engine.

[edited by - alnite on March 18, 2003 8:47:41 PM]

SnprBoB86    277
He didn''t ask what you THINK it is, he asked what it IS.

I am a big .NET fan, but anyone could find this:

http://www.microsoft.com/net/basics/

Goto Microsoft.com search for "dotnet" or ".net" click "Microsoft .NET Home Page" then choose "What is .NET?"

The internet is a magical place :-)

-SniperBoB-

What if The Matrix was recursive?