glutSolidSphere holes at top . . .

Started by
2 comments, last by mstein 21 years, 1 month ago
I am using glutSolidSphere and have lighting enabled. My light is positioned on the negative z-axis, at (0,0,-3). Anyhow, not all of the sphere illuminates properly. The very top (well of the portion facing outward at(0,0,1) is a black circle. I assume this may have to do with the normals that glutSolidSphere uses, but since it makes its own normals I figured there is not much I could do . . . or is that not the problem. thanks
Advertisement
Maybe you''re mistaking a "black top" for a darker shade of the sphere''s color. Does the sun spot happen to be on the direct opposite side of your light source?
Keep coming back, because it's worth it, if you work it, so work it, you're worth it!
Perhaps the znear in your perspective is too low, and it''s accidentally culling the faces due to an error. Always try to keep znear above one, because even perfectly good code can produce weird artifacts on some coputers.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
the znear solution sounds like it may be the problem. The normals at the top of the sphere should be (0,0,1) which would be right in line with the light, so i doubt that the lights position is a problem. thanks much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement