Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KohryuSan

A great c++ book?

KohryuSan    122
so far it seems to be helping and seems to be a very beginner friendly and very efficiant, has anyone else tried " C++ all-in-one Desk reference for Dummies" ? im just starting it its almost 900 pages and its only 35$ .it seems like a very handy reference guide and a simple learners guide for beginners . what does everyone else whos tried this book think of it? Hello

-silencer-    144
My favorite single C++ is Deitel & Deitel''s "C++: How to Program" - it''s over 1000 pages packed full of info, but is organized very well with no wasted sentences. It''s about $60-80.

(silencer)

PouyaCat    590
I''m sticking with the classic "C++ in 21 days" for learning the basic syntax :D

This is the polish virus. It is not an executable, but if you would kindly format your entire harddrive, we would be happy.

sjelkjd    171
I tend to like the titles published by Addison Wesley. In particular, check out Accelerated c++ by Koenig and Moo(good introductory), The c++ programming language by Strustroup(good reference/know it all book), and The design and evolution of c++(some historical perspectives for the design decisions of c++). Once you become more advanced, check out Modern c++ design(Alexandrescu) and (More) Effective c++/stl(meyers).

Jason Doucette    122
I don''t recommend "c++ all-in-one desk reference for dummies" unless you are a complete beginner to programming (it avoids all technical issues which I believe you should understand to be a good programmer), and I do recommend "Beginning Visual C++ 6".

Jason Doucette - my online résumé page: www.jasondoucette.com
projects, real-time graphics, artificial intelligence, world records, wallpapers/desktops

-silencer-    144
I second that recommendation for Ivor Horton''s "Beginning Visual C++" - another helpful book I''ve got. It''s got about 7 chapters for a review of C++ but goes in depth about windows programming. "C Unleashed" by SAMS is another great book for more advanced material that applies to C and C++.

(silencer)

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Deitel & Deitel''s C++: How to Program has been the best book I''ve read that is geared towards beginning C++ programmers.

Nefrugle    122
I would agree with :
MOVSW and -silencer-
that "C++: How to Program" by Dietel & Dietel is a great book for begginers. I also have "Programming in C++" by Nell Dale, Chip Weems, and Mark Headington, and I have looked at other beginers books and I would recomend Dietel & Dietels book to be a very good book, and a good resource. I think it was well worth the $65 I paid for it.

camcbri    122
I have to agree with some other posters... "C++ How To Program" by Deitel & Deitel is one of the best beginners c++ books I've ever seen... I got lucky and found a copy at a library book sale for $0.25.

I would also recommend "Beginning C++" by Ivor Horton. I got this one for a quarter, too.

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY from the C++ black book. It is pure garbage. This I paid full price for... sigh...

[edited by - camcbri on March 21, 2003 1:51:39 AM]

Jason Doucette    122
quote:
Original post by camcbri
I would also recommend "Beginning C++" by Ivor Horton. I got this one for a quarter, too.
Wow! Regardless, this book is definitely worth its original price, especially if you are serious about developing a commercial product.

Jason Doucette - my online résumé page: www.jasondoucette.com
projects, real-time graphics, artificial intelligence, world records, wallpapers/desktops