Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

_walrus

GL_ATI_fragment_shader

Is anyone using GL_ATI_fragment_shader? I have a raedon 9000 and i want to start getting into fragment programming. Should I pursue using GL_ATI_fragment_shader.....Is it worth my time or should i save up to get a 9500 and develop using ARB_fragment_program. How similar are they and what are there differenece? Will the demos i write be able to run on non-9000/8500 (better) cards? Unfortunalty I bought this card before I wanted to get into fragment programming , but now that i am i''m kinda disapointed i bought this card. Thanks

I use ATI_fragment_shader, but only when my programs find it''s the only fragment program extension available.

The ARB_fragment_program is a better and more capable extension overall. I''m not going to summarize why here, read and compare the specs.

ATI_fragment_shader programs only run on ATI hardware, and then only ATI hardware at or better than the 8500.

you can''t use ARB_fragment_program on the 9000. but what you can, is using ATI_text_fragment_shader, so you can simply use different shaders for the 9000 and for say all >=9500 cards you can use ARB_fragment_programs. functions, interfaces stay the same, just the shader script changes..

i think thats the best option..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

oh sorry, haven''t read you want to upgrade..

UPGRADE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE:D

in dx language, the 9000 pixelshader is 1.4, the 9500 pixelshader is 2.0
i think that gives an impression:D

read up a bit on it. yes, the difference is imense.

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com