Reading the libraries?

Started by
10 comments, last by dnagcat 21 years, 1 month ago
I wanted to read the glut.lib file but when I open it in my compiler it lookes like machine code... Are libraries written in a different language than C/C++ or are they compiled in such a way that they can''t be read by the compiler...Obviously I have never written a library but is this possible in C/C++? Thanks for schooling me!
Advertisement
You can''t read a compiled file with a compiler. You need a de compiler to turn machine code back into C/C++, and what a decompiler spits out looks like a bunch of garbage anyway.
You can get the GLUT source code at
http://www.opengl.org/developers/documentation/glut/
this forum is for beginers noit dumasses
we need a new forum for dumasses ok?
but no yuo cannot read librarys because they are complied down to cobol then to asembelry and then only then to binary
quote:Original post by YodaTheCoda
we need a new forum for dumasses ok?

I agree completely. Now shut up and let the non-dumbasses answer his question.
i resent yuor unbirdled sarcasm sir
i am simply atempting to point out that this is the snot of question that shoud not be asked here, as it takes uip the time of many skiled people who have more important isues to attend to
at least i ofered a heklpful answer dumass
yuo obviusly canot take a joke
I'm not interested in arguing, so this will be my last post in the thread. However, I think you should reconsider your attitude. Since this is the For Beginners forum, it is obviously the place for beginner questions.

Since I'm sure you're one of the "skilled people who have more important issues to attend to", you should have spent your valuable time answering the question helpfully and respectfully instead of trolling. Or, you could have attended to your important issues instead of posting at all.

Have a nice day.

[edited by - micepick on March 18, 2003 10:43:56 PM]
A library file (.lib) is in a binary format called object code it is not in machine code and certainly not in Cobol.

There are two steps involved when creating an executable program (i.e. machine code) compiling and linking. Compiling turns the your source code (i.e. text) into object code. Linking takes each object file resolves the function calls made in each one and creates the executable.

Opening up a library file using a text editor is not going to tell you much because it’s in binary. I think you want to do is open the header file (i.e glut.h) which is in text and contains some C source code, mainly function declarations and constants.
I don’t think there is such a thing as a de-complier that can turn machine code into C/C++ that is extremely difficult if not impossible to do. The closest thing you can get is a dis-assembler, which turns machine code into assembly.
quote:Original post by YodaTheCoda
yuo obviusly canot take a joke
No, you just don''t know how to present one.
Now go away.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement