I need direction!!

Started by
2 comments, last by Shadow_0f_Light 21 years, 1 month ago
I have been working on an object oriented OpenGl engine, and I think I''m nearing completion with it but I think it still needs something. What is it that commercial OpenGl engines have that we don''t learn here at nehe? I have just about every lesson integrated into this engine but it just doesn''t feel done. It does it''s own depth testing, 3d and 2d text display, particle engines, relection, multitexturing, etc... what I''m forgeting? I would like to release it to get a beta test going for some feed back but I just didn''t want it to see the light of day until I felt I added everthing it needed. I know I''m making answering this difficult but any suggestion are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced!!
I'm don't know much but I can try to help... just email me at... Shadow_0f_Light@Yahoo.com(the '0' in 'Of' is a zero :P)
Advertisement
Well, NeHe pretty much has everything you''ll need for an engine, but I''ll list some advance topics you may want to look at:

• Avoiding State Changes. OpenGL is a state machine, so doing as much as possible in a single state, before moving on, will speed up your engine. Nehe doesn''t go over state changes, much.

• Forward and Inverse Kinematics . Nehe has tutorials on Keyframes, but I don''t believe he has anything on FK and IK. I know he doesn''t have any "rag-doll" tutorials, which is something useful in any FPS.

• Graphical Converters. Most engines have their own file formats. Creating and releasing tools that convert other formats into your formats, or vice versa, will help a lot for users who will be using your engine.

Ed''s Law of Game Engine Holes: There is infinite cool features to place in your game engine, but only a finite amount of time to finish it.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
thanks I''ll start working on that... oldly enough between college and looking for work I have time to code... and i just found the source for my physics engine so I''ll spend a while integrating that into my progam... although I''m not too sure how much real-time mesh collisions will slow down the engine... well anyways thanks for the suggestions!!!
I'm don't know much but I can try to help... just email me at... Shadow_0f_Light@Yahoo.com(the '0' in 'Of' is a zero :P)
Two words: Scene Graph.

Y.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement