uncompilers ?

Started by
16 comments, last by gambit 21 years ago
I hate when such topics drift into legal/ethical BS
Advertisement
I''m doing this from memory from like 14 years ago, so I cannot guarentee what I say here is correct(this is from word of mouth)...

I believe Microsoft C++ 7.0 had a decompiler, where you could decompile code if and only if it was written with Microsoft C++ 7.0. That would prevent companies from accidently deleting source code, if they had the executable.

The .exe would help the decompiler out a bit, so the executables were larger, (which is bad, in the dos days), it wasn''t a compiler option, so any code you wrote could be decompiled. Microsoft took it out on the next release.

(MC is not .net, Microsoft C was its dos compilers, Visual C is its Windows compilers)
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
I hate Anonymous Posters who chime in with worthless opinions.
Well, there was no VS 7.0, unless youmean .NET, and that''s the latest one.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
he does not mean VC 7.0, he means MC 7.0... That''s how I read it anyway...

Dwiel
A land without GUI, a land without WIMP, a land without printer drivers, a land without menus, this is the kingdom of DOS.

And into this land came Microsoft C++, and it was *bad*, it was so bad, saying it was bad is like saying it man who got hit by lighting is a "little under the weather". Low and behold, a savior, Borland C++ came, and all was good and right(tm) in the kingdom.

Microsoft continued, onward, releasing 2, and 3, and 4, and 5, and 6, and 7, and they all continued to be horrible messes of bugs and everything not right with computers...

Borland, ruled the land of DOS, creating *perfect* compilers, cheaply($69) w/IDE too, and all where happy.

Sadly, no one is king forever, DOS is no more, and the legacy of BC is over. VC rules the windows kingdom, until the cheap BC(or competing compiler) will rises again and slay the beast!!

the end.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
You are right. I did not even know that a dos C++ compiler existed from microsoft, but it makes sense too me now. When did Microsoft C/C++ 7 come out? It may have been before I was born...

@"When did Microsoft C/C++ 7 come out? It may have been before I was"

www.google.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement