Reverse Chronology in Games?

Started by
35 comments, last by irbrian 20 years, 11 months ago
I think that an adventure game would not only be the easiest to design around this idea, but also would be one of the best ways to do it. In this kind of game you''d need to limit what the player can do, which is easier to pull off in an adventure game.

For example if the jail cell idea was used and you got out by non-violent means and find out you were framed and whatnot; you couldn''t exactly go on a killing spree in a later scene because that would alter what you''ve already played which is in the future.

Just another obstactle to think about, but I think this is a very good idea and if this is acted upon then I''d very much like to be involved.
[email=matthewcarr@eternal-software.com]Email Me[/email]
Advertisement
It is an interesting idea. I really like the movie Memento. I think forward moving games with as much freedom of choice as possible are cool. I really like Deus Ex because of the ability to make choices although you have to switch to NSF no matter what because there is a story to be told. It''d be good to have a game even more open than that, but then the developers would be spending a lot of time one levels and eventualities that may not occur for some/many players.

I think time travel games would be fun but it would have to be done it such a way that hey player feels like they have a lot of freedom to travel through time, but still is technically possible to create.
I beleive honayboyz posted this idea origonally.

Anyway, I remember seeing an episode (ages ago) on a TV show called ''The outer limits'' where this guy runs into a bar and collapses. After a while the guy who helps him finds some small vials on him, and when the guy wakes up he has amnesia. They inject the first vial into the guy and suddnely memories come flooding back, of him creating something the goverment wanted, but he knew would not be used for good. As they inject the vials one by one, the reason it all started becomes apparent, and they relize they should of just left things alone.

Another, and perhaps the best, example is and episode of Red Dwarf (a comedy Sci/fi brit show). The main characters wake up to find a puzzle completed they lost the peices for, one with a broken leg, a whole in the wall, with lots of other odd occurences. Curiosity gets the better of them and they start searching for the truth of what happend, slowly remembering bits of the past couple of days. It comes to a head when they remember that one of the characters told everyone a secret that he REALLY shouldnt of, so in an attempt to fix this they agreed to have thier memory wiped for the last day (which involved legs getting stuck in rocks as they searched for the mind thingy etc.), thinking that would be the end of it. The episode ended where it started, doing a big loop. Note that if you have seen that episode you will no doubt notice how horribly inacurate that description was!

I recently watched that episode of Red Dwarf...excellent show btw

Also, I''m new to these boards, so hello!

I''ve actually thought about doing this kind of game before. I agree that Adventure is the best mode for this game, but i''m also discouraged by the fact that adventure games are so unpopular these days. It has always been my favorite genre, and with this type of game having so much potential...maybe a swingback to Adventure is possible?

Jameson

Noone can make you feel inferior without your own concent.
- Elenor Roosevelt
Jameson DurallGame DesignerOddworld InhabitantsNoone can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
also, someone had mentioned that this wouldn''t be good for an RPG setting becuase the player wouldn''t want to go down in lvls as they progress through the game...

If you think about it, yes players advance levels in RPGs...but the world around them also advances at the same rate. Your characters get more HPs and better weapons...but at the same time this is all necessary to defeat the creatures around you.

So, if the story were in reverse, then the world around you would just need to be comparable to the lvl of your characters.

This actually wouldn''t be that hard to do.
also, someone had mentioned that this wouldn''t be good for an RPG setting becuase the player wouldn''t want to go down in lvls as they progress through the game...

If you think about it, yes players advance levels in RPGs...but the world around them also advances at the same rate. Your characters get more HPs and better weapons...but at the same time this is all necessary to defeat the creatures around you.

So, if the story were in reverse, then the world around you would just need to be comparable to the lvl of your characters.

This actually wouldn''t be that hard to do.

Jameson

Noone can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Jameson DurallGame DesignerOddworld InhabitantsNoone can make you feel inferior without your consent. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Personally, I still think it would be weird to be going down in levels in an RPG, even if the world is getting progressively less easy. It just doesnt sound very fun.

What might be cool though is to design an RPG around the fact that time is flowing backwards. In other words, it is not strength and combat abilities that are being developed but rather memory cohesion and things like that.. or better, maybe the character "remembers" his/her former abilities as the game progresses backward, or something.
---------------------------Brian Lacy"I create. Therefore I am."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement