Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Intel C++ compiler

This topic is 5382 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone tell me about the intel compiler? how is it compared to VC++. Im just not sure I want to go with microsoft again and am just looking at alternatives. Thx for any help.

is there an intel compiler? i''ve never heard or it...

i have MSVC++ 6, and it''s very good, i''d recomend it. i haven''t worked with .net, so i don''t know about that...but it should be good.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have intel c/c++ compiler and it its best than vc++ compiler, It optimizes very well (although vc++ compiler optimize good) and uses the latest instructions (MMX/SSE/SSE2). In the other hand its only intel, nothing amd

developer.intel.com/software/products/compilers theres the link to it, thx for the replys. I have MSVC++ 6 standard but Im looking for an optumised compiler, so Im just checking around. I will probly get MSVC++ professional or check out .NET, since I already know MSVC++ and like it. Maybe Visual Studio .NET I can get the academic version from my college book store for 150$, so thats a good deal, just thought I would check out other compilers that arent MS. Again thx for the replys.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The Intel compiler is just a compiler. MSVC is a development environment (code editor, etc). The Intel compiler plugs into MSVC.

MSVC .NET (version 7) is actually fairly good. It even has a folding code editor. It also optimizes code pretty well. Intel will always be half a step ahead on hard-core optimizations, so when time comes to sell version 1.1 of your program, use the profits off 1.0 to buy the Intel compiler and plug it into your MSVC :-)

thx for the replies thats actualy exactly what i was wondering. I thought it was just a compiler but I heard people talking about it as if it was an IDE. Also the MSVC++ that is 100$ is probly the standard one(thats what I paid for mine anyways). I will probly get Visual Studio .NET at the university book store for 150$, academic versions are great deals have all the features of the professional one just can''t sell anything you make with it, of course the best thing is they cost 150$ instead of 1000$:D

Guest Anonymous Poster
By the way, the Intel compiler will generate code that runs faster (than code generated by other compilers, in hte general case) on AMD machines as well, if you set it to P3-code. The only drawback is that the intel compiler won''t generate 3dnow! instructions automagically.

Guest Anonymous Poster
but the academic/standar version of msvc don''t support optimization, only the professional and enterprise

Alright, the Intel C++ Compiler is pretty good. It compiles much slower [perhaps because I have a Celeron?], but the performance gains are good enough. I only use it to compile Release versions. I didn''t see much of a filesize decrease then optimized for that [is it even talking about filesize, or some other size?]...

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
but the academic/standar version of msvc don''t support optimization, only the professional and enterprise

The academic is the professional version plus some stuff. It has many options for optimization and they actually make a difference in speed/size so it is unlikely they are there merely for show.