Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Windows Programming (?)

This topic is 5381 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have spent a great deal of time learning the basics of C++. I am ready to move up a level, but where to go? I need to understand windows programming. Where can I go to learn the basics (initially) of windows programming and what to use and what not to use and to weed through all the stuff like COM, MFC, ATL, etc. Yes, I am a total noob. I admit. Thanks.

You should learn basic Win32 API. There''s a really great book on the topic called "Programming Windows", 5th edition by Charles Petzold. This book covers more than you can handle. I wouldn''t go for MFC yet unless you''re planning to write Windows applications.

quote:
Original post by MOVSW
wouldn''t go for MFC yet unless you''re planning to write Windows applications.

as opposed to non-windows applications?

quote:
Original post by MOVSW
wouldn''t go for MFC yet unless you''re planning to write Windows applications.
quote:
Original post by niyaw
as opposed to non-windows applications?
...you do realise that this is gamedev.net, right?

i forgot that windows games no longer qualify as windows applications.

did i really have to include sarcasm tags?

personally, i''ve found mfc to be useful when writing games/demos (before i switched to wtl, that is). anything that saves me from typing out window procedures is welcome.

I didn''t phrase that very well. What I meant is that MFC is better to use for programming complex user interfaces and business applications.