Is math important? and what types

Started by
6 comments, last by Star2 21 years ago
How important is math in game programming? In general: 2D graphics, 3D graphics, ai, sound etc. If you can rate the types from 1-5 where 5 is VERY important. Examples: Algebra 1 Algebra 2 Geometry Triginometry Calculus Linear Algebra etc. Because right now I am taking Algebra 1 B2 and Im at factoring vertex:es and I am BORED TO MY MIND!!! I seriously cant imagine going through this boringness anymore.. I basically sleep during class and if not, then I pay no attention.
Advertisement
If math really does interest you that little, then my advice would be find a different hobby than game programming. Math from linear algebra to calculus is used extensively, especially in 3d games. However, i''m not trying to discourage you from game programming in any way. Grab some game programming books and work through them. You never know, game programming may increase your interest in math. And if it doesn''t, go rent the movie ''Pi'', it surely will .

Best of luck
Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.
IMHO, math is one of th most important things you should eventually know in any programming. Look at the examples in your programmng books, and the majoriy of them will have something to do with math of some sort. I ma not like all the math tyoes, i bare with it and try and understand it.

How important they are in my opinion is :

Algerbra 5
Geometry 5
Trigonometry 5
Calculas 5

I dont know how i''d rate linear algerbra. My mind is blank right nowon what that really is. But im sure that i si just as important as the others.
The Mind!!
Trig, physics, and discrete. Algebra and geometry are not all that important in and of themselves, but you would be expected to have a moderate understanding of them before moving on into more advanced subjects. Calculus topics vary in usefulness in relation to gaming, though basic calculus it is incredibly useful in understanding physics.

If you find yourself bored with Algebra (I''m assuming by boring you mean incredibly easy) I would look into discrete math, much of it does not require anything beyond basic mathematics concepts to understand.
[size=2]
Algebra --------- 5Geometry -------- 5Triginometry ---- 5Calculus -------- 5Linear Algebra -- 5Lambda Calculus - 4 
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I knew somebody a long time ago (10 years?) who said that he got into game programming because he liked programming but was really bad at math.

Of course, that person is no longer doing game programming. Unless you program very simple games, there is no aspect of game programming that does not require very good math skills, and we aren''t talking about arithmetic here.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
I tend to use trig the most, but I''m not doing very advanced stuff. Things like sin() and cos() are superimportant for almost everything, so at LEAST you need basic understanding. Geometry is useful too, though I imagine even more so in 3D programmign.
Peon
I can''t believe how often Discrete math is overlooked. Computer Science wouldn''t even exist without discrete. Linear algebra is also very important (particularly for 3D programs), and of course to get to linear algebra you need a strong foundation in algebra.
-YoshiXGXCX ''99

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement