Now what?

Started by
3 comments, last by homersimpson645 21 years ago
Okay, I am a n00b. I need help on what to do next for programming. I have just finished C++ for Dummies and understand it. Now what? Should I learn Windows Programming, or go ahead and get a book on game programming. Thank you, A Confused N00b
LevelguyCurrent Project: Upgrade to Visual C++.NET25%
Advertisement
Erm....., Get a book on game programming, as this will teach you the basics you require to get going. It might even be combined with directx and so teach you about directx programming

Ant
Not long ago I was at the same stage, and I bought the OpenGL Superbible, which I personally really like and can recommend.
With that, you also get a bit into Windows/Game-programming as well as learning OpenGL.
I guess next you decide which API you want to use, mostly people chose between OpenGL and DirectX. You dont need to learn too much windows programming to get started with those

you can go here for a little article that might help you out

:::: [ Triple Buffer V2.0 ] ::::
[size=2]aliak.net
I would highly recommend "Tricks of the windows game programming guru''s" by Andre LaMothe. Excellent book!!, and his style and tone(or whatever you want to call it) keep the book far from becoming boring and stale, and his explanations are in depth and give a good understanding.

He provides and explains the basics of setting up windows(Win32 API function calls) , which are pretty much the basic groundwork for any windows program.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement