Naming a clone

Started by
3 comments, last by otto77 21 years ago
Anybody have any thoughts on naming a clone game? What I mean is: suppose I make a game that''s basically the same as PacMan. So...do I name it PacMan (since everyone knows that''s what it really is), OR..is it better to make up a new name (like Chomper, or Munch-Guy, or something)?
Advertisement
I wouldnt name it Pacman. Only the original pacman deserves that name. Maybe Uber-Pacman-2003 or something is ok

I would call it somthing that reminds people of the original so that they know its a pacman clone. The names you mention seem appropriate.

The most important issue here is not getting whacked by companies that own rights on existing names. I think google will lead you to a patent/copyright/trademark/etc search engines that can tell you who owns what. Even if your game is not commercial, its best to avoid such issues.
FYI, Hasbro (who bought Atari) has sued numerous indie developers for making clones of Atari games. The developers didn''t use any copyrighted or trademarked material, however due to Hasbro''s financial advantage (and thus legal advantage) all the developers settled.

Just something to keep in mind.
-YoshiXGXCX ''99
yeah, but those indies were selling their clones.. thats a totaly different subject. i dont want someone to take my ultra-cool and innovative idea 20 years from now (or ever), change its name, and sell it for their own gain.

[edit: and yes, i know hasbro is not the original creator so they have no "artistic attachment", but still- they are in the habit of re-creating games from their cache of popular franchises. who's going to go buy frogger 3 when they can download Ultra Hoppy Frogz 2.1 for free or a fraction of the cost of the real deal?]

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

[edited by - eldee on March 23, 2003 3:44:48 PM]

-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Yeah, I should have clarified that I don''t plan on trying to make any money off a clone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement