Slackware 9.0

Started by
10 comments, last by Strife 21 years, 1 month ago
For now, I just reverted back to Slack 8.1. However, the beautiful thing of the Dropline-GNOME installer is that it upgraded to X 4.3 for me I still would like to use the GCC 3.2, but the last time I tried upgrading, my entire system went kaput.

I''ll most likely be switching over to Gentoo (or at least giving it a try) this summer when I have more than a weekend to just fsck around with my computer. And while I like some things about Debian, there have also been some things about it that I dislike, most notably the old software. If I do even use Debian, I''m going to run the unstable branch, since that''s got more of the newer stuff (though still doesn''t have X 4.3...).

Anyway, 8.1 is wonderful, especially with Dropline. But 9.0 left out WAY too much stuff, so I''m pretty much turned off from Slackware unless/until they ever go back to the way it was.

Finally, while I would like using FreeBSD, I''m pretty much against it due to the fact that its 3D hardware support is not as mature as Linux''s. As soon as that changes, I''ll probably give it a more serious try than I have in the past, though.

Gentoo, here I come (in a few months)!!!
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Dauntless
I have a floppy with the correct dirver...but I''m not exactly sure how or where to put the driver so that I can do a manual modprobe and insmod of it.

I think you should put it in
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net 

Problems with Windows? Reboot! - Problems with Linux? Be root!
Problems with Windows? Reboot! - Problems with Linux? Be root!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement