Terrain Flickering

Started by
5 comments, last by Cat_B 21 years ago
Hi, If you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. As I move around the terrain, the texture flickers (even with the lights off) The only thing I can think of is that its related somehow to the depth testing or the mipmapping (but I also try without mipmapping and it does the same thing)And it flickers no mateer what distance I am from the terrain, but only when it moves. Here are the relevant lines: glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); glDepthFunc(GL_LEQUAL); glHint(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL_NICEST); at each frame I: glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT); and I load the texture both ways: if (mip==0){ glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, Image->sizeX, Image->sizeY,0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, Image->data); }else{ gluBuild2DMipmaps(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 3, Image->sizeX, Image->sizeY, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, Image->data); } with glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,FilterTypeNear); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,FilterTypeFar); where I have tried differents parameters eg GL_LINEAR, GL_NEAREST, GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR thanx
Advertisement
how''s your projection matrix set up?
Pretty much as in the nehe tutorials

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
gluPerspective(fovy,(GLfloat)width/(GLfloat)height,znear,zfar);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);

where

float fovy=45.0;
float znear=0.1f;
float zfar=5000.0f; ( large, I know....)

width=640
height=480

I changed the zfar to 1000 but it still does it.

I should add (I have just discovered this) that the flickering
is not as bad if I move in the -x direction, but is equally bad if I move in the +x,+z,-z directions.......
Haha, thanx for the hint: I set the znear to 1.0f and no more flickering- why it works, I don''t know.
here''s an explanation.

basically, you want the zFar/zNear ratio to be as low as reasonably possible. from the link above: "Empirically it has been observed that ratios greater than 1000 have this undesired result."

-steve.
Thank you for the explaination & link, that book is really good

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement