C# VS C++

Started by
6 comments, last by Rob Loach 21 years ago
Which one is better/faster for DX9 game programming? _____________________________ - Rob Loach Current Project(s): Upgrade to .NET and learn DX 9
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Advertisement
Depends how much you really wanna do.

C# is easier to learn/use, however there will be about a 10% slowdown as far as I''ve heard/seen compared to C++.

One thing I have heard mentioned somewhat is that the 10% slowdown was on relativetly simple D3D demos. Not FULL GAMES.

There is a lot more to a full game than just a series of Direct3D calls. So if you planning on a large scale project you may want consider how the AI/pathfinding/physics/etc will be affected by being written in C#.

One other warning is that many gamers don''t have the .NET framework installed yet that is required to use C#. So if your making a small game thats only 10-20 megs youll have to have them download an extra 25 meg file just to play it.

On a side note I think the framework will become common place within a few years, especailly once Longhorn comes out.
Quci kextra reply before the C# enthusiasts flame me

Using C# with managed DX is very easy and will allow you to code much faster overall. And thats a fact I don''t think that many people disagree with heh.. (*hopefully
I''ve made up my mind.... I''m going to stick with C++ because it is considerably more mature than taking the shortcut with C#.

Argue my point if it''s incorrect though, please do....

- Rob Loach
Current Project(s): Upgrade to .NET and learn DX 9
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
C++ is fine for game programming, I have no desire to change at all. I havn''t used C# so someone else can tell you its features

C++ is faster because I know what kind of machine code it generates and doesn''t have any extra fluff. C# uses MS''s .NET interpreter and you all know how fast microsoft programs are
I won't argue it but I'm sure there is someone one these forums that will.

EDIT: I'd still recomend Visual Studio .NET over VS6 if your planning on getting it. It has better C++ standards compliance plus an awesome debugger from what I hear.

Still haven't got a copy myself tho (lazy/cheap/poor)

[edited by - Illumini on March 23, 2003 8:59:57 PM]
quote:Original post by Cybertron
MS''s .NET interpreter

There is no such thing.

"If there is a God, he is a malign thug."
-- Mark Twain
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
No Language Wars. Thread Closed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement