Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know... Easiest programming...

This topic is 5374 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yes... I know this has been asked alot!, but... Will someone tell me exactly how many languages are ther?(referring to programming)Now.. What''s the easiest to start with? Since I am quite young (13), I haven''t gotten to understand C++ :/ What''s even easier to start with? That can be compiled by MSVC++ or a free compiler? And good free tutorials online? I know it has been asked alot, I totaly forgot what the other people said, and to look back at the past 200 pages of topics, would take some time... And, if I do learn programming, such as database stuff, are there any good paying jobs that dont require a college degree in computer programming? I really don''t want to goto college ... Yes, I know what some of you might say, "Go have fun with your friends!) I''ve done that, I still do, I don''t do it everyday... Only on weekends sometimes... Well.. sorry for the long post :\... C ya later

1) There isn''t really a known number of programming languages, the numbers change all the time, there are a few well known ones, Java,C++,Perl,Python,C,Fortran,Lisp,TCL,Basic etc. then there are lesser knowns.. and how many of those there are is anybodies guess.

2)VC++ can only compile C++.. there are easier languages.. perhaps try Python http://python.org and http://python.org/doc/Newbies.html can help you there. Or stop by http://rapideuphoria.com, that''s a C like language that''s pretty easy.

3)Generally you should get a college degree to get a well paying job, sure if you''re really great they may consider you without one, but people with degrees get payed more.

4)For future reference there is a forum search, so you don''t have to read _every_ topic.

I dont mean like a $100,000/year job. That''s a bit to much for what I would wana do. I''m more talking about like, $30,000+/year. That''s enough to keep a rented home, save money at the same time, enough for plenty of things. $2500-$3000/month. Is really quite decent for me. Since I am not that type of middle-upper class, like some people I know, living in 5 story houses, with wall murals... :\... I know alot about money and how it is handled, I know what is right and good, I don''t like to lie cause I do not know the consequences of doing so. Which I do not know where I am going with this, sorry (Off the subject :\) I''d like to start with the easiest programming. So I can actually understand it, get good with it too... Does Python have free compilers? Sorry, I haven''t checked out a website about it yet. I''ll give it a try... I know, I will want to learn C++ once I know the main things about programming, and understand it too Well, anyway. Would I need a college degree for a $30,000+/year job? Dealing with gaming/database/any programming? I do also want to make my own decent game sometime, I just have so many ideas. Trying to think of a unique one, not just like. Get missions, win the game. More complicated, unique plot. Isn''t THAT easy. lol . Okay, time for me to go, I homeschool too, I''ll probaly go back in highschool, or just skip school altogether and get a highschool GED , C ya later all :\

I started off programming with HTML, was just my first taste of programming, then moved on to QBASIC and then visual basic and now on C++ .

I''d definetly recommend either QBASIC or Visual Basic, or even BASIC. Just get the ground wok of programming learned(variables, functions...etc), after that its just learning the specifics of each language(syntax, structure..etc).

-Teach yourself C++ in 21 days online book, its quite good to get you started off with programming(and goes in depth also)
-cprogramming.com , also a very excellent site, has a good amount of tutorials,and also some other stuff, like which compilers are good and other stuff
-This is a good site also for a quick rundown of C(and C++), but basically the things common to both

that should be good enough to get you started off on C programming.

You know.... although this may appear to be pretty much useless to practically everyone here, I still have to mention it: if you have the chance (used/discount computer books) get a hold of the book "Structured Programming: The Top Down Approach". I really don''t know how widely distributed it was, but it was really the first book to teach me how to develop a program from start to finish. It focuses on BASIC for the source code, but most of it is pseudocode and can be applied to any popular language. Basically the whole book is about how to develop a Blackjack game from start to finish in a nice top down approach. While this is a bit out of date, it''s still a nice read for beginners, at least IMHO (if it''s available cheap!).

I dunno much about homeschool, but unless your parents are gifted teachers, I think school is better. There are some exercises you can''t learn in homeschooling, I think. One of these would be working in a team. Sure, it can be a pain sometimes, but my school has a very heavy emphasis on team building (HS) We do a lot of team projects, and you really learn a lot from working in teams... how to take leadership roles, working out problems, etc... I think it has prepared me a great deal for real working environments.

Sorry for straying from the topic, but since you mentioned it... hehe

Teams... School... I try to be good in teams, but in middleschool, the kids are crazy... Its so true though, and the girls just scream there ass off if they see a spider on there desk or something extremely stupid like that... Teams in school, I''m not against school, but I nevere get anything done in it, everyone is talking, always talking to me... I cant just ignore them and do my work... Well, anyway... Back to programming, QBasic, there are free tutorials online right? What about a free compiler? I have C++ stuff, but I can''t understand it. Like I said, well... Someone give me a QBasic website with tutorials/free compiler? I have no money to spend. So, I might have to download it from KaZaa. I have Tricks of windows game programming, Sams teach yourself C++ in 21days... I know HTML, pretty well too Well, okay, tell me if I missed something.. thx

-AtomicVIIIII

Man, your 13. You have _plenty_ of time to worry about making money and getting a career. I suggest you start with HTML and slowly make your way up.

I''m currently at Fleming College (Ontario) for Computer Programming (2nd year)..... I remember when I was in grade 8, I bought a large C++ book (with my own money! $100 is a lot for a 8th grader), went home, opened it up, and just about killed myself. I STRONGLY suggest going from start to finish. Jumping in just doesn''t work, you''d be lost in two seconds.

- Rob Loach
Current Project(s): Upgrade to .NET and learn DX 9

quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
I suggest you start with HTML and slowly make your way up.

No, you should start with variables++.

Now for an actually serious response: No. Don't expect to "work your way up" to C++ by starting with HTML. HTML is a markup language, not a programming language, and thus has nothing in common with C++, or pretty much any other programming language in existence (that I know of). HTML won't teach you any skills that will be useful for programming, except maybe keyboarding skills.

Actually, C++ is indeed pretty hard to start with, since its syntax is rather twisted and unnecessarily confusing. I started with QBasic; that was a piece of cake, but it was very restrictive. I've never tried Python before, but I hear that it's a very friendly language to start out with. It's aparrently a Lisp derivative, so you don't have to worry about BS like manual memory management or variables with their own types. And naturally, it's as (maybe more) powerful than C++, just a couple hundred times slower.

There's a free compiler (or interpreter) for pretty much any language that's not created and owned exclusively by one company (aka Visual Basic).

[edited by - micepick on March 24, 2003 2:33:07 PM]

quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
Man, your 13. You have _plenty_ of time to worry about making money and getting a career. I suggest you start with HTML and slowly make your way up.

I''m currently at Fleming College (Ontario) for Computer Programming (2nd year)..... I remember when I was in grade 8, I bought a large C++ book (with my own money! $100 is a lot for a 8th grader), went home, opened it up, and just about killed myself. I STRONGLY suggest going from start to finish. Jumping in just doesn''t work, you''d be lost in two seconds.

- Rob Loach
Current Project(s): Upgrade to .NET and learn DX 9

I JUST told you, I KNOW HTML... Lol ... I wana know what to do next, and I probaly will goto college, not real college, just community college to get a degree in computers when im 16, probaly get one of my rich uncles to pay for it ... and I spet $60 on the game programming book, from my christmas money... I have to read it sometime, lol. And sams teach yourself c++ in 21 days (its third edition) only cost $30 or maybe $40, lol. Will someone tell me somewhere I can download QBasic.exe, cause, I don''t have it on my computer :''( :\:/:\ I was looking at some QBasic tutorials, it looked easy, and easy to understand. So, anyhelp please?!?!?

Guest Anonymous Poster
go to

http://www.qbasic.com

they have tons of qbasic info, including compilers, tutorials, and utilities.

or ask your friends if they have a win 98 machine or older. If so they may very well have the qbasic.exe file and documentation that can easily be put on a floppy and transfered. If someone has a DOS machine or win 3.1 you will surely find the qbasic environment.

hope this helps

After that go to C++. I''m a year older than you and started learning it. It''s hard at first, but work at and it gets easier and easier. And if you''re hoping to get into the games industry, go to college. On most websites for companies they say a Computer Science degree is required. At most colleges this is a 4 year course. Someone might hire you without the education, but don''t expect to get paid as much as people who went to college.

Rob Loach- Where in Ontario is Flemings College? Is it any good? I want to go to Waterloo, but I need other options to.

Why does everyone want to start with C++? It''s (arguably) not the most useful language around, and it''s certainly not the simplest or most elegant/easy to use/what have you.

Is it because there are so many books written about it?

Since you already know HTML, you could learn ASP, or you could learn Visual Basic, these aren''t the most widely used for games but they are easy to read and they will teach you the basics of functions and loops and variables..

Once you have the basics down and you understand how programming works then you can easily move on to something like C++ that is not as pretty and easy to read as ASP or Visual Basic (By the way these are basically the same language)

One of the reason''s I don''t understand C++ is because when I look at Sams C++ 21 Days book, I look towards the middle. I see 400 lines of code, and the output
"
"
I mean, how does 400 lines of code come out similar to just that.
I know if I actually sit at it for 5 hours reading it I could probaly understand it, lol. I don''t think I''m ready to sit down for 5 hours and study C++, not yet at least. Probaly gonna have to though. Or should.

And I can''t find QBasics, on Windows 98. I need a new computer for christ sakes. I just did restore disk on my computer, so it won''t run so slowly, like opening a folder would of taken like 30 seconds, now it only takes 3-6. Lol.

C ya lata.

quote:
Original post by AtomicVII
One of the reason's I don't understand C++ is because when I look at Sams C++ 21 Days book, I look towards the middle. I see 400 lines of code, and the output
"
"

Hate to tell you this, but that occurs in pretty much any language (depending on what the program did to get those numbers). It's actually quite likely that doing the same in QBasic would take significantly more than 400 lines of code because (IMHO) it's not as expressive as C++. Of course, that depends on the availability of built-in or library functions. (Can QBasic have libraries?)

quote:

And I can't find QBasics, on Windows 98. I need a new computer for christ sakes.

I think QBasic is only found on fairly old computers. It didn't come with any of the computers I've used/owned since my old 486.

[edited by - micepick on March 24, 2003 5:56:55 PM]

Well, using the stuff from STY C++ in 21 days, you learn C++, but not directX or opengl. So you could code an entire 3d world, but you could only display information about it, like vertices and such. So learn C++ pretty well, then go on to other books. I would suggest that you use the OpenGL Superbible next if you want to do anything 3d. I think OpenGL is pretty easy, but don''t expect a book like that to teach you any basic programming stuff. I know for a fact that to use WGP for Dummies, you at least need to learn C, because I had the same problems as you a few years ago, when I was about 10. Just learn some C++ and make some text games and such, and you''ll easily go into more advanced stuff.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

I have some useful Qbasic links. Don''t ask me how I know them! Alright I''ll tell you. I used to be a Qbasic rat myself. Even now I visit these for nostalgic reasons.

www.qb45.net (.com version is down, but it''s the same site hosted by a different person)

vplanet.cjb.net (review site of Qbasic games, good for inspiration)

www.neozones.com

These are the key sites in Qbasic community. Enjoy.

quote:

[quote]Original post by micepick
[quote]Original post by AtomicVII
One of the reason's I don't understand C++ is because when I look at Sams C++ 21 Days book, I look towards the middle. I see 400 lines of code, and the output
"
"

Hate to tell you this, but that occurs in pretty much any language (depending on what the program did to get those numbers). It's actually quite likely that doing the same in QBasic would take significantly more than 400 lines of code because (IMHO) it's not as expressive as C++. Of course, that depends on the availability of built-in or library functions. (Can QBasic have libraries?)

quote:

And I can't find QBasics, on Windows 98. I need a new computer for christ sakes.

I think QBasic is only found on fairly old computers. It didn't come with any of the computers I've used/owned since my old 486.

[edited by - micepick on March 24, 2003 5:56:55 PM]

QBasic came with DOS and is on Windows 95 & 98 CDs in \TOOLS\OLDMSDOS directory (not certain about ME since I dont have that OS). Now, version that comes on those CDs is QB 1.1 which is just an interpreter. If you read my previous post you'll find sites that have download link for QuickBasic 4.5+ that supports libraries and even compiles code to .exe files.
Qbasic community also made bunch of graphical and media libraries to deal with graphics, I/O & Sound.

[edited by - MOVSW on March 24, 2003 6:43:39 PM]