Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Triangles

This topic is 5376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

With the third-side triangle property, the general term is a-b<c<a+b. Correct? Well, to make the sentence work, a has to be greater than b because you can't have a negative length. with this _b a | / c crude triangle, when I say the inequality stated above, do I need to state that a > b? Here is an example question: Set a domain for c in terms of a and b. (For the triangle above)
tcache Contact Me ----------- AH! MY BRAIN IS GOING TO SELF-DETONATE! -- Yours Truly (Jan, 2003) [edited by - Tazel on March 24, 2003 8:47:17 AM] [edited by - Tazel on March 24, 2003 8:48:11 AM]

less-than signs don't show up right if you type them like that, the browser thinks it's html. You need to type &lt, which gives you a real '<'.

quote:
what he tried to write:
With the third-side triangle property, the general term is a-b<c<a+b. Correct? Well, to make the sentence work, a has to be greater than b because you can't have a negative length.

Anyway, I don't think a-b is really a length, so it can be negative. And even if it is negative, the inequality holds true.

[edited by - Bagel Man on March 24, 2003 3:03:14 AM]

Well when you''re doing a triangle, it has to be positive. Just think of it as a length. It can''t be negative or 0 because there is something there which takes out zero and a line / length can''t be negative.

tcache
Contact Me
-----------
AH! MY BRAIN IS GOING TO SELF-DETONATE! -- Yours Truly (Jan, 2003)

You just said it yourself, shouldn''t that be a length? Probably absolute value of a-b, not just a-b. Or think of it as, subtract the smaller from the larger . (a-b if a is larger, and b-a if b is larger).

quote:
Original post by Tazel
Well when you''re doing a triangle, it has to be positive. Just think of it as a length. It can''t be negative or 0 because there is something there which takes out zero and a line / length can''t be negative.

His point is that a-b doesn''t represent anything geometrically, so it can be a negative number. I agree with that.

Cédric

Here''s an example

4(a)/\6(b)
--
X(c)

According to my original inequality, it would be 4-6<X<4+6 which would be -2 to 10. Now, X can''t be negative...? right? So how would I fix this?

tcache
Contact Me
-----------
AH! MY BRAIN IS GOING TO SELF-DETONATE! -- Yours Truly (Jan, 2003)

X can''t be negative, but it is still comprised between -2 and 10. We''re also sure that it is above 0, but
0 < X implies -2 < X
So there''s no problem.

As someone else pointed out, you can use the absolute value and be done with your problem

|a-b|
Cédric