Accelerated C++

Started by
8 comments, last by Gorf_Rules 21 years ago
Id''d like some opinions on this book, we have been using it for class and are currently on Chapter 7 of the book, just wondering if this ia good way to start and where to go from there. I would like to finish the book and move on to something else while the semester is off for the summer.....
Advertisement
While working on Chapter 7 we skipped forward to chapter 10 so I''m not too sure if we are going back or not. Chapter 8 is on Writing Generic Functions and Chapter 9 is on Defining new types, I believe we already covered these tho I think they are important and I should go through them, what is your say?
Definately go through them!

If you''re going through a c++ book aimed at beginners, which your book is, then DO NOT skip parts. They will only leave blanks in your mind and you will miss important things.

Well just don''t be lazy and read them
chacha
Yeah I am currently reading this book as well. I got it mainly because it is usually recommended by many people on this forum. I think it is quite a good book, although some of the concepts it presents are quite difficult to understand on first reading.

Some of the exercises are also quite difficult and obscure sometimes as well.

One thing I would like to ask is about chapter 4 of the book where you use the student structure for the first time. One of the ideas it presents is having a text file where the program reads in the final exam and midterm grades followed by the homework grades.

e.g
student.txt would contain
gorf 90 80 50 70
julien 90 80 40 60
etc

However the final program that is developed does not have any functions that read in a text file.

So if you have completed this chapter of the book can you tell me if I have misunderstood something here.

How about them apples?
How about them apples?
This is a great book for anyone who already understands programming theories fairly well. I imagine it would go too fast for a complete newbie, but if you understand the concepts it talks about, then it does a great job of showing you how to implement those concepts in C++.

One thing I love with this book over a lot of others, is not only does it not assume prior C knowledge (which I have but I don''t like in a book), it concentrates purely on teaching you C++, not teaching you how to write C in C++.

- Ben Scott
- Ben Scott
I''m giving you the lazy answer a link =). We just took the questions up in class. http://infotech.fanshawec.ca/info260/pri/Code/Accel/Chapter04.html
thanks for the links gorf_rules

How about them apples?
How about them apples?
I think it''s the best c++ book I own, I highly suggest reading every single part of it.
I''ve worked through the whole of ACPP and it''s an excellent book. If you plan on doing the exercises (well worth it) then you''ll really need to be going through it sequentially as each chapter builds on what was covered in the previous ones.

Caroline M.
Caroline M
Yeah it is a good book but some of it can be difficult to understand first time round and requires a few reads before you understand what it is saying. I find that sometimes after reading through a few chapters you need to go back and read previous chapters again and then you start seeing them in a new light.

Oh yeah, to those that have finished reading the book, can you still remember some of the parts of the book that you found difficult to understand at first. I would be interested to hear from you.

How about them apples?
How about them apples?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement