Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TEXT BASED RPG GAME

This topic is 5380 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am newto game developing but i have just made a easy text based game. will you post me a code of your text based games. because i wanna compare with mine and see my faults .... ps: dont send too complicated codes because i am just learning c++.... well i have to make it my own way....

There are no "faults". Don''t compare your skill to other people''s, you''ll just wanna go jump off a bridge. Work you way up. Make another, but this time try making it object oriented (with classes, or maybe even derived classes). You could even add in ASCII graphics and colour! Implement your own dreams one step at a time.

- Rob Loach
Current Project(s): Upgrade to .NET and learn DX 9

ok thanks for your opinions .but i wantto correct a misunderstandig...
actually i dont want to compare my skills.
i just wantto see a good example from a professional maybe from
you....

well i have to make it my own way....

Creating ASCII graphics and colors in C is very simple. However, the game is going to be in DOS.

You can use the conio.h library that contains the

gotxy();
textcolor();

and etc for plotting the location where your "graphic" is to be display.

and for the "graphics" you can use ASCII key, for example, if you want to draw a nice looking chessboard, you made use
ASCII decimal 179 - 218. Play around with each decmial and see its outcome and maybe you can use it in part of your game.

currently, I have to create a game for my data structure class and it too use the conio.h library along with ASCII key graphic.

An example of "graphic" can be see here :

Well, good luck with your DOS game

"Implement your own dreams one step at a time."

heh... i was making a text based battle arena style game (kind of like FF, but only one battle and no graphics lol), i got bored, i decided to make it a dialog based MFC application, i didnt even finish that and now im working on making it a fully functional openGL game with its own environment and stuff... at least i take it one giant leap at a time lol

Bungo!

is true that the gotoxy and textcolor are borland.

if you use the free compiler dev c++, the conio.h already emulates the gotoxy functions, so it doesn''t really matter, works either way.

Hey tony, I did a text based zork clone about 7 years ago ... but showing you the source wouldn''t help ... because it was the first program with pointers I ever did ... so i didn''t program it well at all. Unfortunately I haven''t done anything big, text based since then ... in fact, now that I remember I think the first version of it was done in Pascal, and I translated only parts of it to C/C++ while I was learning.