Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge vast terrains...?

This topic is 5380 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been studying terrain engines now for a while, Infact ive made about 20! One thing though that i cant seem to figure out is a good way of making my terrain as big as the ones you frag people on in mech warrior or halo. They seem nearly endless, and wich octrees and lod, very fast. Anyway, The only two ways I have been able to make big terrains is by either making really large heightmaps, or by scaling them (either by gl or by directly increasing the verts distance), using gl to do it, just makes your terrain collision a nightmare, and increasing the verts, just makes the terrain look terrible. What is a good way, fast, but still keeps high terrain res, way of doing this? Thanx a bunch!

How about generating random terrain... That will give you infinite space, if you want it too . You could use fractals. That is a very good technique. I don''t have any articles at hand right now, but you can just search around, I''m sure there is one here!

You can also combine bout approaches. Use hightmap for large scale detail and generate small detail at runtime using some kind fractal (perlin noise)

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.