• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yodaman

Particle troubles

This topic is 5595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was going to comment this in my first post, but just forgot Anyway, Im going nuts trying to get my particle engine to render right without disabling depth testing... When the depth testing is off, you can see the particles thru walls, and it looks just plain stupid! How do you do this? Thanx... ~yodaman

Advertisement
I had the same problem with my particles in my demo. I got around it by rendering all of my objects after the PS in order to obscure it except for one object which the OS was inside which i rendered after the PS. That worked but it is basically a cheap fix cause in a scene with lots of models and PS''s I know it would mess up again.

One thought i did have was to render a single quad over the entire area of the PS (with colour buffer writes off) after i render the PS in order to set the depth buffer up correctly. I haven''t got around to trying this yet though but it should work.

To answer the 1st post...
The particles dont blend right.
to further on the second...
Ok, if you render the particles before the rest of the world,
then it wont blend right. If you disable depth testing you can see it thru the whole world, if you enable it, the particles wont blend correctly. Hey, what about gl alhpa testing?

[edited by - yodaman on March 24, 2003 2:43:43 PM]

[edited by - yodaman on March 24, 2003 2:44:11 PM]

WOW!!! glDepthMask was Exactly what i needed!!! Guess i need to read the RedBook some more

thanx alot!

Comprehension from the Red Book after you''ve just read it is nearly impossible. It tells you every little detail and technicality you must know, but can''t simply remember automatically. This is why it''s a good reference book. So please don''t read it like a King novel, just refer to it before you come here to babble nonsensically about this CARP!!!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!