Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Out of topic - My HD is getting eaten up

This topic is 5379 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Upun investigation, I have found that approximately 2,5 GB of HD space is simply missing (0,5 on C, 1 on D and E each. Windows is on C.). I am running Windows 98 without any service packs. This is quite an impacting loss of space, since the drives are only on 1,9 GB each. Anyoune experiencing this too? Somone who knows a cure?

Windows 98 is very fickle about how people spell when they use it. So when an illiterate person is using the computer it then hides some of the hard drive space from the user.

But more than likely you are installing things onto the hard drive and then not uninstalling when you want to remove them, or you have a virus.

Or you have a high-speed internet connection and someone has hacked your machine and is storing warez on it that people can download. What kind of files are taking up all that space?

civguy''s right, unless there is some sort of physical damage (or maybe something strange like another partition in a format windows can''t read, but I assume you''d know something like that was on your system) just run scandisk. I have no idea why it happems, but sometimes windows reports the wrong amount of free space, and that''s one of the errors scandisk can fix.

I frequently had this problem in my Win98 install. Windows would mis-report hard drive free space and I had to run Scandisk fairly reguarly (a couple times a week) to fix it. I found that running scandisk on both my hard drives in a rrow was a bad idea too-- it would ''fix'' the free space to an incorrect value. So I would scan one drive, reboot, and then scan the second. If you run scandisk and it doesn''t report a free space error, then you may have a lot of lost clusters saved in the form of *.CHK files. Do a file search for *.CHK and see if anything shows up.

Hope one of those solves your problem.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Necro-File
Windows 98 is very fickle about how people spell when they use it. So when an illiterate person is using the computer it then hides some of the hard drive space from the user.

heh, Cestps is from Sweden...

Guest Anonymous Poster
win 98 has been known to dump it''s swap file on some crashes - look for .swp files in your root folders. You won''t be able to delete them from inside windows, so use a boot disk or something.

I wonder if what Cestps is talking about is the size of partitions and maybe there is some unformatted space.

Have you formatted or repartitioned it yourself, maybe to put linux on? I know I''ve had trouble in the past.