• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yummy_potatoes

GCC or G++

This topic is 5566 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any known issues in G++ that would prevent the developement of a rather large project? I read somewhere some people bashing it''s stability and ability to compile. I would prefer G++, but if it isn''t gonna serve my/our purposes, I''ll argue to write the project in C. Many thanks in advance.

Advertisement
as far as i'm aware g++ just calls the gcc with certain option flags

[edited by - petewood on March 24, 2003 6:48:40 PM]

GCC stands for "GNU Compiler Collection" and it "is a suite of libraries and compilers for a number of computer programming languages". From: http://www.gnu.org/

Update GameDev.net system time campaign - success at last

The above 2 posters are right as far as I know. GCC will guess the method of compilation from the files and options you pass it, and g++ will use flags for c++ compilation.

Most of the time gcc will work fine with c++ files too, but you sometimes have to fiddle with flags and linker options.

I''d just use g++. After all, it''s just a makefile change if you want to switch to gcc.

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book

gcc is a front-end, which invokes g++ for C++ files (determined by extension: .cpp, .cc, .cxx) and probably cc for C files (cc is the name of the old Unix C compiler; the GNU C compiler originally use the gcc binary, but the expanding focus on supporting more languages in as automatic a fashion as possible led to the current layout).

from gcc.gnu.org
quote:
g++ is a program that calls GCC with the default language set to C++, and automatically specifies linking against the C++ library. On many systems, g++ is also installed with the name c++

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!