Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GCC or G++

This topic is 5377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any known issues in G++ that would prevent the developement of a rather large project? I read somewhere some people bashing it''s stability and ability to compile. I would prefer G++, but if it isn''t gonna serve my/our purposes, I''ll argue to write the project in C. Many thanks in advance.

The above 2 posters are right as far as I know. GCC will guess the method of compilation from the files and options you pass it, and g++ will use flags for c++ compilation.

Most of the time gcc will work fine with c++ files too, but you sometimes have to fiddle with flags and linker options.

I''d just use g++. After all, it''s just a makefile change if you want to switch to gcc.

Why you shouldn''t use iostream.h - ever! | A Good free online C++ book

gcc is a front-end, which invokes g++ for C++ files (determined by extension: .cpp, .cc, .cxx) and probably cc for C files (cc is the name of the old Unix C compiler; the GNU C compiler originally use the gcc binary, but the expanding focus on supporting more languages in as automatic a fashion as possible led to the current layout).

from gcc.gnu.org
quote:
g++ is a program that calls GCC with the default language set to C++, and automatically specifies linking against the C++ library. On many systems, g++ is also installed with the name c++