Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

getting "typing style" input while directinput has the keyboard

This topic is 5377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

how do you get input from typing while the keyboard is active? regular directinput keyboard doesn''t cut it, it doesn''t have a repeat rate, and you can press more than one key a time. i can write one using timers and stuff, but i''d rather directinput have a way of getting it. all i really need is a function returning a char, like char GetCurrentKeyTyped() or something.

use the WM_CHAR message for typing-style input.

''There''s something out there....something stupid...''
''I think I''m going to be ill. Is that a problem for you?''
''[You] overestimate my conscience by assuming that I have one.''
- Daria

Check this function: GetKeyboardState

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/WinUI/WindowsUserInterface/UserInput/KeyboardInput/KeyboardInputReference/KeyboardInputFunctions/GetKeyboardState.asp

Hi i got typing style input working on my dx model, you have to use bufferd input, then what i did is to use 2 buffers one for key presses and one for current keys down, every time a key is pressed, [down and then up event] i write that key into the key pressed buffer, and i just read from the key pressed buffer. Only thing that i havn''t got working yet is repeating. The current keys down buffer i clear after each frame. I use this buffer for the movement and stuff in my engine.