Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Son of Return of Forum Game

This topic is 5368 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, wanna play a forum game? If you haven''t seen one of these before, it''s basically that we all contribute story ingredients and combine each others'' to make a (probably increasingly bizarre) game story. So, here are my ingredients to start with: - a military commander is captured by the opposing force and given to a high-ranking noble of the other side as a slave - something or someone is named Aravian - a person acquires wings through any means you like, but it has to occur during the main story plot, not as backstory. - the best-laid plans of mice and men often go spectacularly awry - with very funny results. - pick an animal and use it as the basis for a heroic metaphor characterizing either a character, a ship, or a political faction; you can use anthropomorphism or heraldry but not both. Have fun! "Have come to the conclusion that fandom is not a hobby for all but rather a combination non-competitive sport/full-contact tea party. Only, like, the Mad Hatter''s tea party, and the Dormouse is totally hitting on the March Hare." --Ins, livejournal entry

*scratches head in puzzlement* Everybody figured it out last time... People can do whatever they want - contribute a joke, two lines of dialogue, a concept, details for a concept someone else has already put forth... whatever you all like do do during your creative process.

Like the next person could build on my suggestions by saying 'the best-laid plans' refers to one man's driving vision of a world without slavery... but he screws up and ends up a slave himself, specifically the military commander who is captured and enslaved. And this reversal is the climax of the first plot-arc of the game, out of perhaps 3 plot arcs. The second plot arc will be him replacing his theoretical preconceptions about slavery with real experience of it, and how this affects his motivating vision.

And then the next person could add:
- someone gets hit with a fish
- in this story wings have a symbolism opposite that which they have in the real world; which is to say, wings are like a hobble rather than granting freedom, they symbolize inferiority rather than superiority or divinity.
- someone says, "Underneath every ant is the whole of the Earth."

It's really not a difficult concept, is it? It's just a cooperative story-telling game.

[edited by - sunandshadow on March 27, 2003 3:37:52 PM]

Ok. So after his capture, the General is taken into a court audience, where he is proclamed to serve as the slave of a noble family. He''s dragged out by the guards, and is branded with the symbol of the family, a fish.

For the next person:
-Different viewpoints among allies
-Name the general

That about what ya wanted?

There is a underground organisation called The Furious Shadow Rats (TFSR), who are genically engineered rat-human hybrids, who lived in the underground for 3000 years, since the armageddon war.
Now they have returned to....

...find the Chosen One, he who bears the mark of the Fish.
Above the surface, Aravian reflected upon his situation and what had brought him to his present state, that of a slave in the household of Adelviong, count of Lyonnais, Beaujolais and the march of Basse Savoie.

Not so long ago, he was still commanding a squadron of riders, the Grey Pilgrims, patrolling the borders of the duchy of Savoie for marauding Burgunds, Helvetians and other barbarians inhabiting the slopes of the Alps and Jura in the eastern borders.
On his powerful bike he would inspire terror to his enemies, the sheer noise of its engines, the shine of its machinegun, the speed... ah, how he lacked the feel of the wind on the dusty mountain roads.
His merit was well known to the Duke, his bravery had been tested many times, and more than once had he fought with overwhelming odds against him. And yet he had survived.
And so it was that on a clear summer morning, he had secretly been summoned to the Duke''s palace, fort St Bernard, on the borders of the lake of Annecy, the jewel of Savoie, with its clear waters, gentle moutains, and powerfully fortified city.
The situation was simple enough : there was trouble brewing in the west. The Count of Lyonnais, master of biggest oil reserves for what was left of France, had started to extend his gaze towards the duchy of Savoie and its strategic position, guarding the way to the lands beyond the Alps : the Helvetians clans and their renowned craftmanship, to the north the mighty Teutonic lands with their resources in wood, to the south the cunning merchant princes of Venice, Florence, not to mention the cyber-papauty of Neo Roma.
Simply put, Aravian''s task was to go to Lyon, and there infiltrate any way he could the power structure, possibly becoming a military leader, in order to divert the efforts of the count and help the duke of Savoie to prepare defences.
Since he was well known, disguising would prove difficult and dangerous, so another solution was found : become a prisoner.
As a prisoner of war, he would most certainly become a slave, but given his rank, he would surely be sent to a rich and powerful family. No doubt, his captor would thusly gain some prestige in the eyes of whoever would receive the present.
The Lyonnais were known for their eccentricity and depraved manners, and more than killing, they enjoyed humiliating their enemies. Reducing a former general to the state of slave would certainly bring them great pleasure, and Aravian a perfect occasion for spying.
Given their system, a valourous slave, with enough efforts and by proving his worth at the service of his masters, could eventually be given some responsibilities, including the commanding of troops (although usually on non vital or suicidally dangerous missions ). This would be Aravian''s chance to proves his worth, and accomplish his mission.

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

Slavery is in
And the slaves are marked with the symbol of wings.
They are are the remainings of the United Planet Freedom Forces that once ruled over terra... Until Aliens arrived and reinvented the old feudal system to rule over the planet...

An old legend sais
"And when the war in France will begin to shatter the world -
there will be one of you - one slave...
And the rats will swarm out of their tunnels to find him
the one who brings light over the world
the one who will free the slaves
the one who will unite terra again
the one with the mark of the fish.."

Rat-Human Hybrid (touching the general-slave with a fish):
"The fish... (pauses shortly with a suprised face, as he sees that the fish returned to live)... the fish is alive again."
General-Slave: "Yes, I see... And that means... what?
Rat-Human (falls on his knees): "You are it... the fishbringer... ehm... I meant the lightbringer with the mark of the fish."
General-Slave: "Ok. All's clear. Say me what to do."

- there is an invasion of evil spacehamsters

(edit: mistyped something... or more)

[edited by - Squarefox on March 28, 2003 8:02:48 PM]

Wonderful! This is a great start - there''s so much fun atuff to play with I think I''ll have to take another turn! ^_~

Okay, so we have alien french nobles enslaving humans. Or maybe the aliens are the leaders on both sides of this war, and the humans are continuously caught in the middle. The slaves are marked with the symbol of wings. Not just a symbol - a seed! See, the aliens have wings, and they can fly. They think humans are really ugly if they''re wingless, so naturally they want to give their house-slaves and pleasure-slaves wings. But, they don''t want the slaves able to just fly away, so the wings have to be pretty but non-functional, so that they are actually a burden, marking the human as a slave and keeping him or her "shackled to the earth with chains of gravity". When they take a human as a slave they brand the center of their back with a little tattoo of wings, and put a genetic seed there - a little packet of a genetically engineering virus that makes the humans sprout fanciful, artistically designed wings. We can have a nice little Japanese-style horror fmv illustrating this.

Here''s some more little bits:
- "Those who are the most horrified at the idea of owning slaves are those who would make the best slaves themselves."

- As long as were playing with fish symbols, let''s use the progression: regular fish, darwin fish (the one with legs), evolve fish (the one with a wrench for genetic engineering). Hey, let''s have one with wings too.

- The fish symbol branded on Aravian is on his right hip.

So since everyone''s talking about the theory of making up titles, why not try to make up some titles for this game concept? Also, we still need to know what the climax and resolution of the game will be, if anyone has any ideas for that.

Well, quite obviously we are going for a classical "Disgrace, redemption, vengeance" plot a la Gladiator.

It so happens that the Duke of Savoie was in fact jealous and worried of the ever increasing prestige of Aravian. Failing to see how to kill him, he decides to send him on a mission so suicidal that there is *no way* whatsoever for him to escape...
or so he thought.
Of course, in due course, Aravian realises that his mission is a pretext (but he couldnt have refused, because of his unbreakable sens of duty). Against all odds, he rises to fame despite his status as a slave.
Winning his freedom, he is contacted by the ratmen mutants who explain the prophecy and offer their undying allegiance.
Aravian then builds up a force of mercenaries, and once again in his natural element, he decides to go back home with a vengeance. (did I mention that the Duke''s daughter was of course in love with him ?)
The Count of Lyon, it turns out, is a quite benevolent man, who only really wanted to secure an alliance with the Duke.
In the end, Aravian and his fidel ratmen come back home and infiltrate the palace in Annecy to capture and kill the Duke.

But will they accomplish their goal and fulfill the prophecies, or will some terrible event once again thwart their plans ?

As for a title...

LOL

Well it wouldn't have to be a disgrace-redemption-vengeance plot, although we do have all the elements for that. I was thinking more along the lines of "person with preconcieved notions encounters the reality thereof, matures philosophically, and becomes what he previously concieved of as 'evil'" If we were doing a game with multiple endings we could use both of these structures because they overlay each other nicely.

Titles - Ooh, engraved is a nice word. Maybe we could use the form 'graven', because it has all those nice connotations of being forbidden and heretical. So something like: "Graven Wings, Gravatic Shackles"? Or "Bound With Chains Of Graven Wings"? Or, "Winged and Shackled, Graven and Bound"?

[edited by - sunandshadow on March 31, 2003 4:45:50 PM]

quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
"Bound With Chains Of Graven Wings"? Or, "Winged and Shackled, Graven and Bound"?

Wow, dominatrix alert !

Well, the way I see it, Disgrace-Redemption is just another form of Death-Rebirth. I was seeing Disgrace as a fall from grace, if you will. He had everything, but suddenly his world is turned upside down, and he has to reexamine everything that was given and considered granted.
His Redemption is really a discovery of what he truly is, a long long road out of hell, sort of. The reward is a rebirth of the self.
It''s all very stereotypical, but what can I say, I love it (hence my utter joy at the release of Demon : The Fallen, a RPG that lets you play just that, one of the Fallen...)

Gamewise, the "fall from grace" should arrive after a first period where you are the kick ass hero roaming the countryside on a dangerous mission. Eventually you succeed and as you come back to receive the laurels of the victor and some booty from the princess (or whatever your initial love interest is), your idyllic world falls apart.
You end up amidst what you have always considered as your enemies : a fallen, decadent, corrupt (you get the picture) lot to say the least.
Of course, all is not what it seems at first sight, and this experience is a revelation.
Then you really have a choice : go at it the manichean way or show that you have learnt something.
The manichean way would be that you have switched sides... now you come back home to kick some butt.
Or you show you have learnt something, i.e. that people are people everywhere, just because they are on the other side of the fence doesnt mean they are evil creatures that deserve being slaughtered. And so you go home as a herald of peace and harmony between your people and their former (so you hope) foes.

As a bonus, you get to convey a nice anti-war message which is very appropriate (IMHO) those days...

Yep. Or rather, I''m not completely a sub, but more of one than a domme anyway. Go figure how I always end up being the leader of design teams and a moderator at places like this then. o.O *shrugs in puzzlement* Although most of what I do as a project lead or a moderator is temporize, nudge people to cooperate, give pep talks, organize group activities (i.e. a forum game), and assign homework, so maybe I''d be worse at it if I was more commanding.

you *have* to read the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton... for some strange reason I have a feeling you would enjoy it as much as I did

Yeah, I''ve had those recommended to me before - even accidentally ended up with one on my shelf but then didn''t read it because it was in the middle of the series. Do you know which is the first book in the series?

Just so this post isn''t hopelessly off-topic:
We still need to know what''s up with the rat-guys and what if anything happens to the winged alians and the winged humans at the end of the story?

Also, Aravian''s a motorcyclist, right? We definitely need an amv with him in his winged form on a bike with his wings spread out for balance and catching the wind - it would be _almost_ like flying.

on topic :
Well, after the third world war, all civilisation started to slowly fall down. Pollution, as had been predicted for years and years, took over. Without the constant overlooking of governments and people with any sort of common sense, the situation degraded very quickly.
After a few generations, events that had so far only been observed (officially) in places like Tchernobyl started occuring all over Earth.
Nations clashed against nations, and rather than unify and try to work out problems, each and every country broke down into its lesser fragments : one after another, the States of the former USA made secession and slowly redefined their frontiers to encompass the territory that was "rightfully theirs". Segregation, anti semitism, anti communism, all the form of hatred that governments and laws had so far tried to keep in check exploded like a dam breaking down after monsoon.
In Europe, old rivalries and historical grudges awoke from a long slumber, only to show how alive they still were. France, a country of so many cultures patched together, broke down into its various regions. The regional languages that, in the 21st century, had almost dissapeared, emerged with a renewed vigor.
Unfortunately for mankind, if the governments and political appartus that made global relations possible had partially disappeared, the technology that allowed global destruction had not.
Soon enough, local dictators, anarchists, herd of wandering nomads, clans of guerilla warriors had their hands on weapons of mass destruction, on military grade arsenal.
In oasis of relative civilisation, the remains of governments, along with their elite military and scientists, started planning for the renewal of order, the reinstatement of civilisation ... and for revenge.
With no way left to communicate with each others, to pacify and discuss and temporise, the various factions and nations that no composed Earth based their relations on tried and tested methods : "kill it before it kills you".
Paranoia and distrust prevented emissaries from being taken for anything else than potential spies, trojan horses and possible virus carriers. Better shoot them than take a chance.
Without any sort of industry, economy or institutions, the various military forces had no way to resupply their stocks.
First they ran out of ammo. So they started roaming wider and wider areas in order to capture any they could.
After a while, they ran out of fuel.
Fuel became the new money. Those lucky enough to have secured large reserves became the new powers. Countries that actually *produced* the black gold became the stuff of legends...
Worldwide, as soon as the Thord World War had finished, Religion made a massive come back in the heart of the masses.
In Europe, after a few generations of renewed fervor, some heroes emerged from the masses, chosen by God. Those became the new leaders, the new Kings and Queens. Feodality made its reappearance, as if it never really had disappeared...

(I am getting kicked out of the labs, so... so long folks )

off topic : SnS, the first one is Guilty Pleasures. The exploration of the sexuality of Anita is quite progressive, and the reexamination of her whole way of life and prejudices is what makes the series such a pleasure to read. Do read it in order, as otherwise you lose a lot of the pleasure of seeing her change from simple executioner to stone cold psycho bitch from hell... although she still needs a stuffed pingouin to go to bed