Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A frankeinstein

This topic is 5365 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi people ! I''m posting cause i got a great idea so here it is. I was thinking we could do a corenspodence game here but by corenspend I mean this : Someone (probably me) would start some code on a game like the Window or DirectX initialisation. Then the personne would put back the code on the forum and then some one else would modifie it bye doing the next step and put it back here. We could do this until we have a result of a game. Maybe some of you are thinking that if we do that wont we need a game design document or event just a game genre to make. Well we will only do if necessary. Now here what I dont want. People trying to tell me this can''t work, cause if you wanna go say it some where else. I know it risky and maybe stupid, but it a new idea and sometimes new is good. Now people if your Intereste say so and more details or event suggestion will be made. Kevin

Sounds like a lot of fun, provided every contributor is free to use his or her creativity, i.e. mess things up as much as they want

I''m definitely in if you start this!

Marijn

Yeah but then people are usually making a real application, with more or less fixed specs. Imagine being able to put creativity into a game without having to stay focused on it for longer than a few days or a week, and then have others continue on it. As it is now i constantly get ideas, start a project, and abandon it because i get interested in something else.

This thread is not very big yet, doesn''t this sound like more fun than a barrel of monkeys to other people? I''m way enthousiastic about it. Let''s get the thing going!

Marijn

Problems may arise, though. This is a pretty big community and several people here have extermelly narrow ideas about what good code is and how it should be structured. Every single line of code is likely to spark a huge flamewar.

What happens if I was a relative newbie, but wanted to contribute? I might write something like this:

int res = rand() % MAX_RESULT;

Here are the flames that this code is likely to get:

1. res? Why not result? Or is it ressurection? Shouldn''t it be iRes?

2. int? Why not unsigned int? Or UINT? Is UINT a standard typedef for unsigned int?

3. The modulus operator shouldn''t be used on rand() as the lower bits (which is what the modulus grabs, in effect) aren''t very random.

4. Isn''t MAX_RESULT a poor name design? Should it be a #define or a const? What''s with the underscore?

I''m sure others can come up with more trolls then these 4, but 4 criticisms per line of code isn''t too surprising.

If you want to combat this, you need to come up with a comprehensive set of coding standards and enforce it. And this means that you would, in effect, be project manager and you would be making all the decisions. This isn''t bad, but its not too different from how most open-source-volunteer projects are run, with the exception that this one is on gamedev forums as opposed to somewhere specifically designed to host this kind of thing.

I don''t mean to rain on your parade or anything, I think it would be fun, but its going to be difficult to hold back a downpour of coding criticisms from other posters.

We could of course develop a set of rules that submitted code HAS to follow. For example: Hungarian Notation, etc. And if the next submitter wants to change some previous code that was submitted, why not? It becomes the submitter''s choice on how it''s done.

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Upgrade to .NET and DirectX 9
Percent Complete: X%

I think that would be too much work. Keeping the amount of work needed to submit or set up code should be kept to a minimum, or nothing will be done at all. This will be completely done without any cash flow remember. I''d suggest either using multiple topics in the forum, or uploading to a free web space client.

- Rob Loach

I think this could be a good idea, why not ask if a new forum be created for this project, and actually one where people can just submit code in general.

I think a less serious approach would be better:

- The project will be changed by only one person at a time, this person holds the lock for a few days and then passes it on to the next volunteer.
- Comment your code to show what it does, and use whatever coding style you want. If you have to change code someone else wrote you should be able to get it with the comments and a little patience. Just try not to write too obscure code.
- No huge organized project will come out of this, just a big messy hack, but it''ll be fun.

How about that? I think this works best cause this way no one has to manage things and we do not get the endless conflicts and bickering about style. More like a free for all project

Marijn

Great people it decided I'm gooing to do it. And event beter news we alweredy have a forum to use. I've ask the guy and he want us to use the forum. Here a link :http://members.lycos.co.uk/k2studios/index.php. We will use this until I will creaate my own. For now own I'm going to make the site and start dooing these conpunents on the game. A windows and direct draw initialize to it and a full screen mode in 640 * 480 * 8. The next step would be a collective thinking on what project are we gooing to do. And for now on do you think we need a name and my nick on this forum will be CppBoy

Kevin

[edited by - cpp boy on March 26, 2003 9:21:15 PM]

Here the link of the current web site (I''m gonna modifie it tommorow and maybe put the first code). You got all starting information on it so here it is : [link]http://www.geocities.com/cvsproject2003/Index.html[/link]

Kevin

usually a good frankeinstein story starts with strong characters, and a strong setting..

The video game equivelent is: having a basic design for the engine, and implementing just enough to have a character walking around in the world. I think after having that, then this might just work

This sounds like a fun idea.. and the end result will definitely be very interesting.

I think that marijnh's suggestion of commenting all your code would make a good rule, since nothing sparks a headache more than sifting through heaps of code just to find out what one function call does.

[edit: grammar error..]

[edited by - blueEbola on March 27, 2003 6:59:14 PM]

Here a little news flash. First of all I''m remodelling the entire site and it looks good for now (link will be givin when finish) Second of all, I will be finish whit the first make of the game about saturday or sunday whit these features : Full screen window, no title bar, Direct draw Initialized, 640*480*8 and a flipping surface. That about all and then some one could take on cover whit the specifications. Third of all I''m gonna use Angel fire create an acount and tell you how we will make the transfer. And finally there is a section called Planification of projet and I whant you to follow this when it is indecated there. As for this I''m finishing by saying : that yes you will have to comment, assure yourself that your code works and you will have a 5 to 10 (I wont be that severe at the end) day limit or else you turn is skipped.

Kevin

Nice work.
Keep up the good work.

Marijn

[edited: retracted hosting offer because i realized some security issues that would come up]

[edited by - marijnh on March 28, 2003 3:26:19 AM]

It''s brainstorm time!

Anyone have any ideas?

I think we should keep this in 2D (for simplicity purposes so everyone could participate), and use DirectX API (speak up if you have a different API to suggest...).

- Rob Loach