Euler

Started by
16 comments, last by Agentidd 21 years ago
Need help ending a debate. Is Euler pronounced "oiler", or "uuler"?? -DD EDIT- (Forgot about websters.com) Eu·ler ( P ) Pronunciation Key (oilr), Leonhard. 1707-1783. Swiss mathematician noted both for his work in analysis and algebra, including complex numbers and logarithms, and his introduction of much of the basic notation in mathematics [edited by - agentidd on March 24, 2003 9:14:49 PM]
Advertisement
People have told me it''s ''oiler'', but then again you never can trust some people.
oiler
Since it''s German, eu is always oy, so oiler is correct As for those Japanise guys that had the idea that helped solve fermat''s last theorem, anyone know that?
Brendan"Mathematics is the Queen of the Sciences, and Arithmetic the Queen of Mathematics" -Gauss
It''s ''oiler''.

Enough people pronounce it ''uuler'' (incorrectly) that they can convince each other they''re right.
The majority wins! Its oiler.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Yeah, it''s oiler. I''ve never actually heard anyone pronounce it otherwise, except for when I first pronounced it years ago, and was promptly corrected.
This was a problem in this calculus competition I did in high school once.

I got it wrong, too =(

oiler, huh?

Well, I call it uuler. If you don''t like it, ts. You can''t teach an old dog new tricks.
We all speak diffrent languages.
For instance, in sweden the money in USA is called ''dollar'' and spelled ''dollar'', but we do not pronounce it as you americans.

Pronounce it as it would be pronounced in your country.

I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement