Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simultaneous key presses on the keyboard problems

This topic is 5382 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m currently writing a 4 player game. Each player, for input, requires 4 keys for input. I found that I could put all four players spread out on the keyboard with every player relatively uncramped, since it only required 4 keys for each player in the first case. When I started to play test the game, however, the computer started to beep on me. To my dismay, my OS, computer, choked or didn''t even work at all when certain keys were pressed together. An example of 3 keys that couldn''t work together were j, l, and F4. I found that when I ran the DirectX8 sample for the keyboard, I tested and tried different combinations of my keys I use in my game. Some of the keys were not registering when certain combinations were pressed together. I''m running on Windows XP. If that has anything to do with it. I''ve tried searching the forums and had no luck, but if there''s a directly related post, kindly direct me towards that post. If you find it, I will shun myself for not finding it in the first place and wasting your time. Does this happen on other computers as well? Or just mine? Are there keyboard drivers that I need ? Thanks for your time, Destroyer

Guest Anonymous Poster
http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/keyboards_are_evil.html

Yes...certain keys are mapped so they cannot be pressed together (for example hold both shifts and try to type a colon - explained in the document the AP linked to)...it prevents getting too many messages at once...windows can handle 3 key presses at a time and one would think directx would override this but i dont think it does

[edited by - SnakeHunta on March 24, 2003 10:03:33 PM]

It isn''t the messages, but rather the way the keyboard is wired. When you press a key you short a row and column together. If you press four keys in two rows and two columns then let one go there is no way to tell which one you let go or even that you did or that you pressed it in the first place. Some keyboards do true three key rollover. Some only do partial. Partial is that it can only do two rows and two columns. A true three key rollover is any combination of rows and columns that adds up to four, i.e. (3,1), (1,3) and (2,2). Three key is the most you can do reliably though as the keyboard is wired.