Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rottger quad tree

This topic is 5377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I previously created an octree structure where each node could contain thousands of triangles. The node had an array that contained all the indices to the triangles for each texture group in the terrain. Now I''m reading about this quad tree method that looks like each node is actually just one texture. So at the highest level of detail, I''m guessing, the node is the desired size of the texture and at lower level of details, the triangle fans are actually much bigger and the texture is stretched across them. I was hoping I could get some more information on this to confirm my guesses. I''d really like to implement this method (since my previous method hasn''t worked out too well) but I want to make sure I know exactly whats going on before I end up spending alot of time on it.

Ah, thanks. I assumed that it was a widely used method of terrain rendering. Here''s a link to his paper.

http://wwwvis.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~roettger/html/Main/papers.html