Quake games questions....

Started by
8 comments, last by julienX 21 years ago
Ok I don''t know much about these games and I want to clear my mind on some things... just a few questions mainly about the engine.... 1: Is this right: Quake was in DOS, and Quake 2 and 3 are windows 2: I know that quake was in plain C, but what about 2 and 3? Are they Object Orientated?? I guess not since Carmack would have had to completely change the original engine''a strucuture... 3: I know they all use OpenGl, but do they use DirectInput, DirectSound, DirectMusic?? 4: What is the Doom 4 engine based on? 5: Does Carmack now use C++, instead of just C?? 6: When will the Quake 3 source code be available for modifying, if at all. Thanks for your time
chacha
Advertisement
1. That''s right.
2. They''re also plain C. Carmack is famous for his non-OOP style of coding.
3. Not sure. I think Q2 and Q3 can utilize them, but the game surely doesn''t rely on them. Both Q2 and Q3 have Linux-ports.....
4. The DOOM 4 engine doesn''t rely a 100% on OpenGL or DirectX AFAIK. They''re both optional. Correct me if I''m wrong....
5. I guess not. Why would he when he is really a master at C? And no, I''m not trying to start a debate about OOP vs non-OOP.
6. I guess that''ll be shortly after Doom3 has been released. For now, the Q3 engine is all but obsolete.....
Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.
I heard that for Doom3 the core engine part is written in C. But the game rules are in C++.
1. *was*, there is WinQuake

2. Quake is C/ASM, Quake2 is C/ASM and C++ for the mod source, dunno about Quake3

3. At least Quake uses DirectInput.

4. Doom III is based on nothing but experience I think.

5. Ask Carmack.

6. 3-5 years from now? Sounds reasonable.(I''m exaggeragting as usual... 1.5 years at least... more like 2.5... or something...)
Quake 3 uses "Quake C" and the source code compiles into a DLL used by a Quake virtual machine. and maybe I just don''t know what you mean by asking when the quake 3 source will be available for modifying, but I have the latest source code and it''s available for download so you can modify it and make your own mods.

-noix-

In this world gone mad, we won''t spank the monkey; the monkey will spank us.
In this world gone mad, we won't spank the monkey; the monkey will spank us.
Yes, I have the Q3 source as well.
Er, you mean you have the core engine source-code ? Or just the SDK ?
quote:Original post by noixtirdoe
And maybe I just don''t know what you mean by asking when the quake 3 source will be available for modifying, but I have the latest source code and it''s available for download so you can modify it and make your own mods.

He probably means if the sources will ever go GPL, like the sources of Q1 and Q2 did....

Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.
Doom 3 is written in C++..

Proof
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/doom/images/SCREEN.JPG

[edited by - Sunray on March 26, 2003 7:35:33 AM]
[size="1"]Perl - Made by Idiots, Java - Made for Idiots, C++ - Envied by Idiots | http://sunray.cplusplus.se
1: Is this right: Quake was in DOS, and Quake 2 and 3 are windows

Quake ran on DOS, but many other platforms as well. It ran on Linux and Windows too(there was glQuake and winquake, and quakeworld too)

2: I know that quake was in plain C, but what about 2 and 3?
Are they Object Orientated?? I guess not since Carmack would have had to completely change the original engine''a strucuture...

AFAIK, Carmack scraps his engine at each iteration of the series. The only games sharing most of the code are doom/doom2 and the Commander Keen series.

3: I know they all use OpenGl, but do they use DirectInput, DirectSound, DirectMusic??

They do, except for DirectMusic.

4: What is the Doom 4 engine based on?

Nothing, except Carmack''s talent to write a new engine.

5: Does Carmack now use C++, instead of just C??

I think so, seeing as it is mentionned on Stroustrup''s webpage.

6: When will the Quake 3 source code be available for modifying, if at all.

Someday probably. He already did so for wolf3d, doom, q1 and q2, and he seemed happy about the positive feedback about it.
-MoonJihad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement