Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simple Question, Please Answer

This topic is 5376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well I''ve never read an OpenGl book before, but I noticed that there aren''t too many around (or is it just me?).

From previous posts similar to yours, OpenGl Game Programming and The OpenGl Super Bible are the most recommended.

OpenGl Game Programming teaches you OpenGl from scratch and emphasises on creating games with it.

The Super Bible just teaches OpenGl but it covers more, or so I''ve heard. Have a look at amazon and the books section here on GameDev and read about them.

Oh yeah, the OpenGl Super Bible (or more commonly known as the ''Red Book'') is legally available online. You''ll find it right here in the Articles section under Game Programming.

Good luck.

OpenGl Game Programming
Its written two of the gamedev staff. I haven''t read it, but I plan to buy it as soon as I can. Gets positive reviews everywhere.

quote:

Oh yeah, the OpenGl Super Bible (or more commonly known as the ''Red Book'') is legally available online. You''ll find it right here in the Articles section under Game Programming.

WRONG, OpenGL Super bible is commonly known as the super bible. The superbible is blue and white, and isn''t avalible in its entirty online.

There are three bottom up OpenGL books

OpenGL Superbible $55?
OpenGL Programming Guide(This is the red book, its red!) $55?
OpenGL Game Programming $60?

The other book I like:
Interactive Computer Graphics: A Top-Down Approach with OpenGL It deals with how things work, rather than how to do things(which is top down) $89.9
OpenGL Reference Guide This is online, but its still nice to have a dead tree verson. $55. This is the blue book.

The red book, which other people have spoken about, is avalible online, but only its 1.1 verson, not the current 1.2 verson. There isn''t much difference, however.

The Super Bible tries to be a combiniation of the red book and the blue book. So it covers them both, but it doesn''t go into the detail like the red and blue do.

Heres a link for a downloadable version of OpenGl Game Programming:
http://www.programmers-unlimited.com/downloads/ebooks/games/OpenGL%20Programming%20Guide.zip

quote:
Original post by Spudder
Heres a link for a downloadable version of OpenGl Game Programming:
http://www.programmers-unlimited.com/downloads/ebooks/games/OpenGL%20Programming%20Guide.zip

That ain''t the OpenGL Game Programming, thats the OpenGL Programming Guide, (aka the red book)