Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little help with programming

This topic is 5379 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, this is the case, it''s not really gaming help i''m looking for, I need a bit help catching up on programming. Not to worry though, i''m not the average guy going: "0mgz t33ch me 1337 progz0r!" The thing is, I read alot of books and tutorials on c++, but I just can''t catch up on it, the reason? Well, very oftenly, I look over the explanation of something, I look over the code, and mostly, it''s fine. But I always get those small little questions, that the book/tutorial doesn''t cover. So the bottom line is, I need someone that can answer some of my questions, still note, I am NOT asking anyone to teach me how to program, it would just feel good if I had someone I could ask if I got to a problem. Usually my problems are very small, and helping me won''t take time. I know this might seem "dumb" to you people out there, and pretty much, I AM the typical newbie, but if anyone would bother to help me a bit if they got some sort of program like msn or something, it would be GREATLY appreciated. Cheers.

See, I could use the forums, I HAVE thought that thought, but my problems are usually very small and common.
If I were to make a new post for each question I got, and when each question had an answer that consisted of a word or two, it would quickly turn into a little thing called spam, which most people odn't like.

[edited by - Newbman on March 25, 2003 1:22:02 PM]

The chat room (#gamedev on Afternet, or the semi-related channel #c++ on Afternet) is brilliant for this sort of thing (most of the time). You can just lurk there while reading, and then ask people questions when you get them.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

quote:
Original post by Newbman
Ok, this is the case, it''s not really gaming help i''m looking for, I need a bit help catching up on programming.
Not to worry though, i''m not the average guy going: "0mgz t33ch me 1337 progz0r!"

The thing is, I read alot of books and tutorials on c++, but I just can''t catch up on it, the reason?
Well, very oftenly, I look over the explanation of something, I look over the code, and mostly, it''s fine.

But I always get those small little questions, that the book/tutorial doesn''t cover.
So the bottom line is, I need someone that can answer some of my questions, still note, I am NOT asking anyone to teach me how to program, it would just feel good if I had someone I could ask if I got to a problem.

Usually my problems are very small, and helping me won''t take time.
I know this might seem "dumb" to you people out there, and pretty much, I AM the typical newbie, but if anyone would bother to help me a bit if they got some sort of program like msn or something, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
Cheers.

I have this problem and greater. Look gents, I''m old (well not really but I feel that way when I''m trying to program. In case you''re wondering I''m 29) Anyway I am trying to teach myself programming and keep getting books, and they are all so confusing! When I say I''m a beginner I mean true beginner. The only language I''m even remotely familiar with is HTML. I got lucky and found some good books for that, but I''m still looking for the right C book. I have taken and intro to programming which starts you with Algorithms. I did great, the algorithms make perfect sense, but when I get to C...blah! Can anyone suggest a good site or book to start with. I have C for Dummies (I''m a BIG dummy I guess because it makes no sense at all. And Teach yourself C in 24 hours from Sams and programming for Dummies. I hear VB was a little easier to learn so I got a few VB books-again, they lose me. I need something to break this down like I''m a 5 year old. Someone please help.

Sam

What! What!

I highly recommend the book "Assembly Language Step-by-Step" by Jeff Duntemann. It''s very pleasant to read (Jeff has also written science fiction books), and it''s very easy to understand.

After reading this book, learning C is a piece of cake.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hey Sam,

Where exactly are you getting lost. Is it taking an algorithm (written out in some form of pseudocode, I presume) and translating it into a working program, or just not understanding the language syntax, or writing programs that don''t compile correctly and you aren''t sure what the error messages mean, or are you just having problems with program logic flow (which shouldn''t be a big issue if the algorithm is correct). I''d love to help, but I need to know where to focus that help.

please reply

I like The Waite Group''s C++ Primer Plus Third Edition. It''s a good book, and they start with the very basics, like putting the words "Hello World" on the screen. The author explains everything and there are plenty of exercises at the end of each lesson. Check it out.

The best way I''ve found to get the answer to those kinds of small questions is... try it yourself. For instance, if I were curious how much memory, say, an int takes over a float, I''d sizeof() them. And if I wanted to see which runs faster in my code, I''d simply code a bit of code that uses an int, say, 50000 times and see how long it took. Then I''d do the same with a float.

Basically, programming is about learning things by experience a lot more than via theory. Trust me, you''ll learn faster and better by trying things yourself when in doubt. If it crashes your PC, well, too bad. Stuff happens. I''ve had to restart a few hundred times in my early days due to a lock-up or crash when experimenting, and I''m pretty sure I''ll have to do it again just as often.

But then again, sometimes a little help from a book or someone else never hurt anyone.

if yuo have any complex programing questions please do not hesitate to mail me at yodathecoda@hotmail.com
i am most skiled with c c++ cobol asembelry isp and even vb
i wil lbe most haopy to assist
but yuo must mention me in the dredits

I know what you mean--I''m kind of in the same boat

I have a pretty good grasp on c++, but there are still things about it that confuse me...

It''s not necessarily questions like how big an int is or what''s faster... Sometimes it''s things like: Why is this some way?

For example, I''ve wondered in the past why member variables can''t be overridden in an inherited class by variables of the same name but of a derived type?? Still don''t know... anybody?

Or why you can''t inherit constructors... and are sometimes forced to do this:

class B
{
B::B() : A()
{}
};