Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

supporting multiple resolution

This topic is 5379 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to add multiple resolution support for my game. The resolutions that I''m planning on support are 640x480, 800x600, & 1024x768. Right now the game is being developed using 640x480. To support multiple resolution does this mean I''ll have to create an image set for each resolution?

If you are using 3D models, all resolutions will look essentially the same and you don't have to do any extra work other than make some way to change the res. If you are using 2D sprites, there are 3 ways to support multiple resolutions: Use a 2D API like Direct Draw and draw different images for each resolution; use a 2D API and use the same graphics for all resolutions (which means there would be more on screen because there is more room); use a 3D API to draw the images on stretched quads, in which case resolution doesn't make much difference (same case as using a true 3D engine).

If you are using sprites, I reccomend that you create a high resolution image and use a 3d API to put it on a textured quad. That way at 640*480, it will get shrunk down and lose detail, but at higher resolutions it will be normal size and you can see all the detail. If you create the sprite with 640*480 in mind, it will look (almost) the same on all resolutions and there won't really be a reason to use any higher resolutioins.

[edited by - Extrarius on March 25, 2003 12:24:03 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ok, thanks. I''m using Allegro for the project.