Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making a Space ActionRPG game fun.

This topic is 5375 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well I have finally completed work on all my game editors for a little space Action RPG game I have going. The game editors are basic and allow for: Editing of Weapons and Items Editing of Conversations and missions parameters Editing of Areas and Game Objects (Planets, NPC''s etc..) I tried to make this game as depenedent on external data as possible, but ran into some problems. Like since its dependent on external data I have only 3 real weapon types: Pulse, Beam and Missile. Each one behaves in a specific way, pulse fires bullets at enemies, beam is like a constant laser beam (a lineTo) and missile fires homing little bullets that explode when near an enemy, currently Pulse is implemented fully. I have to just write the generic functions for Beam and Missle. The game editors (all of them) really only change the stats and parameters of the objects they make, so in this respect they are very simplistic. I do not know how to make the game editors create an object that is totally different than from the templated ones defined in game code (like pulse, beam and missile weapons), i guess I could add more generic types to the game code, bombs come to mind...but that might break my first rule of this game and that is to Finish it, perhaps in subsequent releases I will add these and other features... So thats finished, and the data they produce is almost implemented. The problem I am running into is that I wanted this game to be a Diablo II in space, but somethings just dont translate well from Fantasy to Space, like the skills in D2. So I was thinking mimicing the skill tree from D2, but instead of getting skills, you get the abilities to operate special equipment specific to the classes in the game (classes not yet implemeneted). This equipemnet you could put skill points into and it a)lets u use them with 1 or more skill poitns in them, and b) becomes more powerful with more skill points. Like the Mercenary could have a Splatter Gun, this fires multiple pulses in many directions...the more points the more pulses it fires. This would be a special case in the game code that is executed to do the rendering, collision detection etc of the splatter gun. Does anyone feel this is a viable option, making the special equipment per class hardcoded and it being Special Equipment not "skills" (to fit the theme better) ? Thats with the "skills" portion of d2, the other problem i was having is that in D2 when u raise a level you get skill points, and ability points. Well abilities dont translate well to a space game, where the ship is your main character..and the ship can be outfitted with new armor, shields etc any way to imporve its speed, defense and attack some (not to mention the weapons its outfitted with). so what could replace a ability system? since I want there to be some more of a reward for leveling up than just another Special Equipment Point? Really would love to hear some ideas here... Any other ideas would be great! Thanks Shane just a note, this game was meant to be designed with some simplicity as my resources for creating it were limited. My goals is to create the first area (Terran Sector) with several missions.. Using stock graphics I have. That goal is almost realized, then in subsequent releases id like to include (And build up more): Classes Mercenaries for hire And the Special Equipment skills per class. More RPG stuff, like perhaps a scripting engine and better conversation managers, currently conversations will be simple and result in a Okay, or YES or NO.

Well I''ll give it a try but as a warning, I may not know what I''m talking about. About your problem with weapon types. It seems to me you need to make the weapon type more generic. As in, give the attributes or functions/stats that all weapons have in common. Example: They have damage, weight, speed, (bool)projectile, etc. And have your editor define it''s behaviour. Whether this be implemented by script or what I don''t know but I''d try to have it so the editor controls whether it follows a line or tracks, whether it is a solid beam or pulse, whether its even a projectile weapon or not. Any of this make sense? Hope I''m not babbling and it gives you some ideas. Although you may not want to rewrite that much, since as you said what counts is the end result.

Good suggestion, im basically doing that as we speak with my Three weapon types the editor can choose the weapon to be one of those types (which is how it behaves) then it defines its damage, energy requirements, cool down rate, etc...

The only things the editor doesnt allow is creating a weapon like the Splatter Gun (the more specialized weapons) because that has multiple projectiles etc...it cannot be handled by "FirePulse()" etc... it has to be handled by the highly specialized "SplatterGun()" function see? I could make a splatter gun type, but that would be over kill since one splatter gun is available as a Special Equipment in the game...

How else is the special equipment idea?

-Shane