Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldskool

This topic is 5368 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have always been a fan of platform style tilegraphics, and i''ve always liked to draw that kinda thing... So here''s a little tileset i threw together: http://www.ffasylum.com/~ganryu/art/BrickTileset1.bmp And here''s a sample of how it can be used: http://www.ffasylum.com/~ganryu/art/Sample1.jpg Oldschool indeed. Especially with 16*16 pixel tiles Comments? Critique? Flames?

Love it
There is something so cool about tile art I have always loved. My own experience was black and white graphics for the HP48, tiles, animated sprites and other niceties. I wish I had had a converter to BMP at the time so I could show them off (although, as you mention, 16 by 16 kind of lose of its appeal on a 1024x768 screen )

I have a feeling your work could find its place on handhekd devices with the current trend, dont you think ?

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

quote:
Original post by ahw
I have a feeling your work could find its place on handhekd devices with the current trend, dont you think ?

That''s what i''d like to think too
I love tile graphics!

Graphics like this have to be blown up to 320x200 or 320x240 Quite easy if you have the internet explorer utilities pack installed (free from microsoft.com); just right click on any image in your browser window and click zoom in (or zoom out)

When I first saw the sample (before I zoomed in) I started to think how even 320x200 games have evolved from very flat looking objects, and draw things (like those bricks) in 3-dimensions.

But when I zoomed in, I had a feeling of nostalgia that only quality PixelArt can bring. It personally reminds me of games like GODS, or Legend Of Hero Tonma (an arcade game)

I think pixel art will have a place in the gaming world for a long time to come, not only where filesizes and CPU cycles are important, but also as a way of decreasing your workload and still having atmospheric graphics.

quote:
Original post by Domarius
BTW Ganryu, the main reason why I clicked on this thread was because I recognised your name from the clickteam forums

Hehehe... You''re here too :D

Gee, one of my mates just got a new mobile phone, and he showed me the screen and some games for it.
Apparently it''s 128x128 with 4096 colours ?
And the games are Java games.
And I can tell you the graphics were much simpler than what you are showing there.
Hell, I did graphics for games on HP48 and the specs were way below that... it''s not a mobile phone, it''s a frelling game console at this point !

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !