What are u currently coding?

Started by
17 comments, last by JinJo 21 years ago
If you going to make a game like Zelda or Baulders Gate, they are almost the same if you look at the very big picture.. I''m currently creating what will end up being a game like Zelda, however I''m making the engine as flexible as posible because I to do not have graphics and I''m just sure where the story is going to go...
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
Advertisement
Cheers Rob, maybe i should keep developing my 2d thing, I could do a zelda clone but with different story and gameplay elements, then i could test all sorts of introductory AI techniques etc. Again though theres the art. Although i will keep doing the 3d stuff for learning purposes.
You could of course take a classic and encorporate 3D elements. For example: I''ve seen Tetris 3D, Breakout 3D, 3D snake, havn''t seen a 3D Pacman though .....

- Rob Loach
Current Project: Upgrade to .NET and DirectX 9
Percent Complete: X%
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
quote:Original post by Rob Loach
You could of course take a classic and encorporate 3D elements. For example: I''ve seen Tetris 3D, Breakout 3D, 3D snake, havn''t seen a 3D Pacman though .....

- Rob Loach

There is a Retail game Pacman - Adventures in Time that is 3D

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
Right so here i go, im gonna code a game. It''ll be 2d tile game simmilar to zelda LTTP, and just wondered what gameplay features do u think would be good to include? what sort of speacial effects / graphics features do u think would be good?
Finish the basics first, then worry about special things. I'd suggest starting with loading the tile engine and loading maps.

It'll be quite difficult because you'll have to script NPC dialog, Enemy/NPC AI, everything into the loaded graphical maps.

[EDIT] I'm quite the basics fanatic arn't I?

- Rob Loach

[edited by - Rob Loach on March 25, 2003 5:54:57 PM]
To OP

I had the same problem as you. I wasn't sure which direction to go in. I had was inclined to do an Elite type game (all time classic), but I also love Quake 3.

Here's what I've decided to do ...

A MMOG 'standard' space sim, where you can trade, shoot pirates, and a few bits bedises. That in itself isn't particularly original I know.

But here's the good bit. I liked the idea of being able to dock with space stations and wander around too. So I thought I'd put Holo-Decks on the space stations where you can join in a Quake 3 type frag 'em game! The beauty is that the framework would allow almost any other game to be built in too. I thought of being able to play 2 player space invaders (for example) whilst travelling around in your cockpit! All the extra games could be fairly simple plugins.

I know it's an ambitious task for one programmer - but the reason I'm doing it is more educational than anything else. I will eventually be forced to implement many different elemnts of game programming, but all within the same project.

And the end of the day I have XX years programming experience, so I'm quite prepared for the scale of this - but what the hell - if you don't try you won't succeed!!!

Regards

EDIT - Just noticed the post above ... Rob Loach will HATE this

EDIT #2 - don't mention this post anymore - I'm putting up a dedicated thread to this ...

[edited by - Shag on March 25, 2003 6:56:41 PM]
LOL!

I just read your post.

[EDIT] And yes, that is quite the project, but hugely original idea . If your that confident, good luck, tell me when your done it in 50 years .

- Rob Loach

[edited by - Rob Loach on March 25, 2003 6:49:51 PM]
Of course there is 3D pacman its called metal gear 2

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement