Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Versatile Game Engines

This topic is 5377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I recently posted about picking up a game project that I have worked on for several years now. This time, I am looking for a new engine to work on it with, preferably a 3D engine that can produce something good-looking enough. I am willing to pay reasonable amounts of money for a license (Actually, around $1000, and I realize many of the better ones would cost significantly more). I would go with 2D, but there is a problem - the plans I have written out for my RPG's battle system are too complex for a 2D game. I am sure some of it could be "faked" in 2D, but it would not be the same by a longshot. I would also like one that will possibly even allow multiplayer capabilities (I am not sure at all how netcode works, so if an explaination is needed, then I will give one if neccesary), but this is only an idea, right now. I have done some looking, and found Genesis, among many others, but I am really looking for an engine that will allow me to make a game that actually looks, and plays, like a commercial-quality game (ie. perhaps, Final Fantasy?). It's not uncommon for most people, I know, to jump in and say that they want to make a sw33t RPG, right from the start, but this is what I am looking for. Any help is appreciated. [edited by - Rift on March 25, 2003 5:04:35 PM]