Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

test my directx app?

This topic is 5367 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi everybody. i've been having problems with some people running a simple DX8.1 3D app of mine and a co-worker suggested that this site might be a good place to get some others to try it out. if you're willing, i've set up a link at clicky it's not much but several people have said that the app runs but nothing gets displayed. there should be a "swimming" angelfish in the middle if things work correctly. i'd really appreciate it if some of you would be willing to give it a shot and then let me know if it works for you, and if so, what your system specs are. thanks. [edited by - flipper76108 on March 25, 2003 5:22:31 PM]

Works perfectly here. Who were these testers? People who had 8.0 installed? I had that problem when I installed a game which refused to run and wouldn't tell me why, so I updated from 8.0 to 8.1 and it worked.

athlon 1.4ghz
geforce 4 440mx
win 98se

[edited by - themattgreen on March 25, 2003 5:35:51 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
wow. thanks all! that was fast.

these testers are non-techs, to say the least. but they know how specific types of fish are supposed to behave, which is why i''m trying to get them to help me out.

their example of reporting an error is "it doesn''t work". and getting specs out of them is very hard since they barely know what OS they''re running.

i think i''ll just have to put in a logger to find out myself.

i''m back again with another request. we''ve added a 1.1 vertex shader for the fish movement and we''re curious about how well it does on other hardware. would you mind testing again and insert (using insert key) as many fish as you can until your fps just drops to 30 or below? it''s a DX8.1 app.

a count with the shader off (cap A key) would be great also. and you might want to turn "sleep" off (cap L key).

we''ve tested on the 2 graphics enabled pcs here and get:

1ghz/nvidia_geforce2go: shader off: 7 fish, shader on: 10 fish
2.4ghz/radeon_9700pro: shader off: 53 fish, shader on: 175 fish

you can download the zip file from the link here.

thanks.

mine wants to switch to the reference rasterizer than quits...which is quite awful seeming i have a geforce 4 and the only times i need ref is when running pixel shader 1.3...nonetheless, in my experience my d3dcaps never detects right and im sure if there was no detection it would run fine

Got the same problem as SnakeHunta, but not on so impressive a rig. I''m running a mobile 1.8ghz processor, 224 RAM, and some kind of ATI card. I usually get pretty poor 3D graphics performance, but in any case, this sample crashes out without showing anything. Too bad, I wanted to see it too

Windows XP SP1.
ATI Radeon 9500.
Pentium 4 2.4Ghz.
DirectX 9.0
768Mb RAM.

Shader on:
HAL (pure hw vp): RADEON 9700/9500 SERIES
507.34 FPS (800x600x32) (D16)
Fish: 1
Verts: 4499
Faces: 6996
Shader: on
Sleeper: on
Move: random

Shader off:
HAL (pure hw vp): RADEON 9700/9500 SERIES
328.62 FPS (800x600x32) (D16)
Fish: 1
Verts: 4499
Faces: 6996
Shader: off
Sleeper: on
Move: random

Got to 42 fish before I hit 30fps.

Had similar numbers in full screen mode as above.

Guest Anonymous Poster
we have a great spread of specs with numbers now, thanks to all of you guys for testing. btw, this was a generic shader. no cg for the nVidia cards.

now the question is whether we can enhance the shader to separately move the eyses and fins while bending the body or if we''ll need separate shaders.

Qa303asmGuru, the model is from <a href="http://www.toucan.co.jp/indexE.html">here</a>. he''s made a whole set of different types of 3DS models available for free, non-commericial use. about the only thing they really lack is some alpha-blending on the fins, but that''s a nit imho.