Is DirextX 7 To Old?

Started by
5 comments, last by DarkEldar77 21 years ago
Hi, should I switch to a new version?
Visit My C++ Programming Site:http://darkeldar77.tripod.com/cpp.html
Advertisement
It''s completly up to you. DX7 is not "too old".
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
DX7 is an excellent transition version if you know DDraw but don''t know D3D. DX7 is the only version that allows you to mix the two easily so you don''t have to move everything over at once.

If you don''t know DDraw or don''t mind the leap without the safty net then go with the latest or OpenGL.

Ben
I dont see any harm in switching to the latest. The best thing about 2D in 3D is that you dont have to bother with resolution changes. The 3D pipeline resizes the stuff for you. Besides that, you get to use all the 3D features like for example alpha blending.

And it''s not at all hard to get some 2D stuff up using Direct3D, you''ll have to learn a little extra then if it was just DirectDraw, but not too much extra. And it''s all worth it.

:::: [ Triple Buffer V2.0 ] ::::
[size=2]aliak.net
There is a heavy reason to choose DX7. Have you even see a function likely IDirect3DDevice7::ComputeSphereVisibility() in DX9? I don''t. And it''s useful for render a large world stored in a Octtree. Just testing visibiliy of each node when render FRONT-TO-BACK. IDirect3DDevice7::ComputeSphereVisibility() has a lot or performance and acelerates octree rendering a lot.
What do you think?
I suggest this article:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991109/moller_haines_01.htm

Game programer. FreeLance
Game programer. FreeLance
If I can remember right DX7 still used D3DIM and D3DRM, thats bad considering the new version moved far apart from them. I would say use DirectX8 or DirectX9.

If you have an octree or bsp tree setup then you shouldn''t have to use IDirect3DDevice7::ComputeSphereVisibility(), you should know how to apply frustrum culling. Frustrum culling is easy to implement, you can then check visibiity with spheres, points, cubes, capsules, etc. Thats still not enough though, what about occlusion culling?

Anyway, I would learn 8 or 9 like I suggested above. For one, Newer versions dont use D3DIM or D3DRM. Also, Newer versions support vertex and pixel shaders, older versions (7-) dont.
It''s all taste, program in the one that makes you feel the most comfortable then once you learn it move on.

Happy coding DarkEldar77

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
if you intend to leard D3D, go with DX9, the latest thing.

if you intend to go with DDRAW, the 2D thing that died after DX7, then you CAN use dx7, but there are a the big problem is this: with ddraw, you have to raterize it yourself, no hardware support for any type of drawing.

It''s easy enough, and can be kinda fun to write a software raterizer, but it can also ba a big headache.

You might be able to find a good book on using DX9 for 2D, if you can, it''d probably be worth it to go ahead and buy it.
Programmers of the world, UNTIE!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement