Feedback on a game idea

Started by
4 comments, last by Shag 21 years ago
Ok - I wasn''t going to mention what I''m attempting to do, but seeing as I just posted the concept in another thread, I might as well get some feedback / ideas. The reason I haven''t mentioned this, is that I feel there is a genuine comercial aspect here - maybe I can sell the idea to a commercial developer ... who knows? Here''s the idea A space sim, like Elite in many respects, with the trading, shootin enemies, mining and all that. That''s all reasonably standard stuff. Here''s the nice bit. I really like Quake 3 and similar. So I thought about having space stations where you can dock your ship, and walk around as in an FPS. In these stations there''d be Holo-Decks, where you can join an online Q3 type game! In fact just about any game you can imagine. These would be implemented as add-ins. But I also want to extend the idea of games within games, by having mini games you could play from within the cockpit of your space ships. Things like 2 player space invaders, freecell, well anything really. Now the overall game gets tied together by expanding upon the clan system. The Game universe would consist of 10,000 star systems at least and each clan would initially occupy one system. But a clan which jointly raises enough money can commision new space stations around unnocupied star systems, thereby expanding. The number of members in each clan would be proportional to the number of space stations owned, but players would not be able to choose they''re clans - they would be randomly assigned a clan at first logon, and remain there whilst each clan still owned a space station, or if not, they''d simply restart the game from scratch with a different clan. This would encourage individual game play, but also team play. The team play side could be expanded by having clan deathmatches, and the winning clan getting credits to add to their collective effort. The possibilities seem almost endless. From a commercial aspect, the sub-games could be sold online, for £10 each for the bigger elements, or maybe £2 for the sillier ones. This could extend the game lifespane many fold. What do you lot think of this idea? PS - If that was disorganised, it''s because it was pure braindump!!!
Advertisement
1. i personally don''t think ppl would pay more money to be able to play space invaders within another game, considerin gyou can get it freeware off the net.
2. it''s unlikely that someone who enjoys playing elite type games online would also play quake 3 within that game. considering you would have to load two engines possibly, and there are other excellent fps multiplayer games out there...
3. i understand your desire for a large community of ppl, but this could be pushing it over the edge - trying to combine many games into one.
4. the random allocation of clans, while is better for ppl without online friends, is really bad for ppl with online friends. they would obviously want to be in the same clans wouldn''t they?

you could just create an online community via www, and have the space station simulation entirely server driven, with stats uploaded via java or whatever...
quote:Original post by Shag
What do you lot think of this idea?

I seriously doubt you would like me to crap post YOUR thread - but I can''t believe that audacity of asking people for their opinions for free.

(To others, this is a response to this guy''s obnoxious posts in a thread of mine.)

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer
Intrinsic Algorithm - "Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Come on now people no need to be rude, he just asked what you think (though a topic such as this should probably be in the "design" forum..)

Personally I wouldn''t like it. But that isn''t too helpful to you because I don''t like multiplayer/online games in general. (but that''s just me I suppose)

I say you should focus more on the main part(s) of the game, and not try to roll 50 games into one, maybe add to it later, but seriously, the more focused your design, the easier it will be to make it happen.

I''m not too sure about selling ideas to a developer, in my experience they will not pay you, they''ll try to steal it and/or say they never talked to you, if ever questioned.
If you plan on going that route make for damn sure you have them sign a N.D.A. (not that they will honer it..!)
peace
this place is lame
"I can''t believe that audacity of asking people for their opinions for free"
Hi what do you think we do all day here?! Forums are full of free opinions my friend.

No need to be rude, he just asked what you think (though a topic such as this should probably be in the "design" forum..)

Personally I wouldn''t like it. But that isn''t too helpful to you because I don''t like multiplayer/online games in general. (but that''s just me I suppose)

I say you should focus more on the main part(s) of the game, and not try to roll 50 games into one, maybe add to it later, but seriously, the more focused your design, the easier it will be to make it happen.

I''m not too sure about selling ideas to a developer, in my experience they will not pay you, they''ll try to steal it and/or say they never talked to you, if ever questioned.
If you plan on going that route make for damn sure you have them sign a N.D.A. (not that they will honer it..!)

peace
this place is lame
Wasn''t this called Battlecruiser?

Y''know, it''s hard enough writing _one_ kickass game, let alone tying yourself to a concept that effectively requires you to write two or three.

Maybe it''s best to focus on one thing at a time?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement